With no MBA update today, what's your plans? Wait or buy something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by entatlrg, Apr 13, 2010.


No MBA update, what's your plans?

  1. Wait

    80 vote(s)
  2. Buy a different Mac notebook

    8 vote(s)
  3. Sony Z

    15 vote(s)
  4. Lenovo x201.301

    3 vote(s)
  5. a different ultraportable, (what kind?)

    3 vote(s)
  6. iPad

    10 vote(s)
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    I'll bet Sony Z sales spike today, lol.

    Take the poll, please.
  2. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2006
    North West Georgia

    "Hookers and Blow" :mad:

    I really checked "Wait".
  3. dudup macrumors regular


    May 28, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    I have a MBA Rev. C (2.13ghz, 128 GB SSD model) that I love. Love. Really love.

    It's been my main and only machine since July. For both home and work. I use it with 24" full hd displays and it's amazing. It's a very reliable machine. The only annoyance I have is HD flash video playback (I hate Flash, grrr).

    Before that, I used to have a Rev. A and a 24" iMac, but when I started to use my own machine at work, I decided to sell the iMac and buy a more powerful macbook, since my most powerful machine was idling at home. I went for a 15" MBP but couldn't get used to it, and after a month I've switched to this Rev. C MBA.

    Recently I've received a new MacBook (policarbonate unibody) at work. Great machine, I admit. Very fair for the price, specially here in Brazil.

    But the point is: since then, my MBA is quiet at home. And I'm buying an iPad next week, which will probably address most of my usage at home, which is very light.

    So today, after these updates, I've just bought a 27" Core i5 iMac, which's gonna be my primary machine. The iPad probably is gonna my mobile machine between work and home.

    I'll probably keep the MBA as my DJing machine, with a very light OS X installation and music files. Just that. Problem is, I'll be changing my setup very soon and I'll be in need of 2 usb ports -- a real shame if you ask me. So maybe I'll trade it for a cheaper 13" MBP (or even a MB).

    To me, the ideal duo is now a powerful desktop for content creation purposes, and an iPad for content consumption. I'll be keeping a laptop only because I'm a DJ, and my current setup demands it. But I have a strong belief that sooner or later I'll have an iPad-based setup.

    If there were a new, more powerful MBA, i'd probably would bought in place of the iMac.
  4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    That's all good as you like to work from your desk.

    Many of us like to do content creation away from desk/office and do it on an up to date powerful ultra portable ... Apple stepped out of that category today.
  5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030


    Apr 6, 2009
    i was really hoping for a mba update because i really wanted one but i ended up getting a 15inch i7 mbp
  6. Manatee macrumors 6502a


    Oct 20, 2003
    Washington DC
    I'll just keep carrying my 13" MBP until (if) there's an update to the Air. I've already promised my current Rev A Air to a nephew since I don't use it anymore.

    I'm fine with most of the specs on the current (Rev C) Air, but I won't buy until it has 4GB RAM. Non-OS-X machines really aren't an option, although the competition's hardware specs reminds me how incredibly far behind Apple is with the Air.
  7. gglockner macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    +1 dudup.

    If you want to do 'serious content creation' while on the road, get the new refreshed MacBook Pro. It's going to be a great machine, especially if you upgrade to an SSD. It's only a matter of time until the Core i5 reaches the 13" model. In the meantime, if you really need that much power, you'll probably appreciate the larger screen of the 15" model anyway.
  8. halledise macrumors 65816

    May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    be patient - it'll happen.

    give it 'til June, or possibly even before ;)
  9. Huubster macrumors regular


    Mar 1, 2010
    I was willing to wait until June.

    After analyzing the 13" MBP upgrade I've changed my mind. If the Rev D MBA specs were the same as the "next level" MBP I would be disappointed. And even the 13" MBP falls waaaay short of what has been predicted in this forum.

    Vaio Z even outclasses "the next level" 13" and 15" MBP's. And probably also the expensive 17" one! And all that in the package of a 13" ultra portable.

    No brainer for me. Just ordered my Vaio Z. Too bad for loosing OS X, but a modern dashboard in an old lousy car doesn't make sense to me.

    Bye bye Apple.
  10. gri macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2004
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    May buy a 1.86 RevC MBA refurbished privately for now and continue to wait. The real MBA will than be bought through work and the refurbished one will go to the Miss.
  11. drjsway macrumors 6502a

    Jan 8, 2009
    The VAIO Z is much thicker than even the MBPs. If you would be happy with a VAIO Z, the MBA was not for you in the first place.
  12. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2009
    Actually I plan to do nothing. I don't need any more power than my current MBA has to offer so there is not point getting something else for a long time. Hopefully won't have to even consider upgrading the laptop for another year or so.
  13. Huubster macrumors regular


    Mar 1, 2010
    Wrong logic. If it were an even much thinner pocket calculator your argument could still be used.

    Weight is the same and makes it almost as easily portable as the MBA for me.

    Having said that, the high end Vaio Z is even faster (on paper) than the more expensive 17" MBP. And almost as portable as a MBA...WOW! That's what I call "the next level"
  14. drjsway macrumors 6502a

    Jan 8, 2009
    The VAIO Z is twice as thick as the MBA and thicker than any laptop Apple has made in years. Weight is only half of portability. I can fit more books in my bag if they were half as thin.

    A big part of what makes the MBA so enjoyable to use is its slimness. The bulk of my wife's MB makes it less comfortable to use, on a desk or on my lap. And the VAIO Z is even thicker.
  15. lily69 macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2010
    I thing the reason of Vaio Z being thicker is the optical drive.
  16. tigres macrumors 68040


    Aug 31, 2007
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    Yes that is all true, however the meaning of his post (I think) was that
    the MBA was passed over today. He moved on, and I don't blame him; he needed a portable and gave the business to Sony. Too bad for Apple.
  17. sturmnacht macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2006
    Nope. It's the battery bulge. Without the bulge, the Z would have been a sliver over an inch thick.

    The optical drive is within the area of the Vaio Z where the thickness is tapering off to .93".
  18. gwsat macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2008
    I have wanted a very lightweight machine for Web browsing and email for sometime. I had eliminated the iPad because of it's well known limitations. I really wanted a MBA if it's RAM was upgraded enough to let me run Fusion and Windows 7 in Unity mode. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today so I got an iPad instead. It isn't a real computer so my MBP has to still be nearby. Nevertheless the iPad is off to a pretty good start. Better yet, it cost less than a third of what I would have had to pay for a MBA.
  19. Fraaaa macrumors 65816


    Mar 22, 2010
    London, UK
    If the MBA will come with some nice features I'll buy one this september otherwise I'll probably just stick with my MacBook C2D '08.

    I'll buy an iPad anyway.
  20. mymoon macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2008
    Waiting, as I continue using my almost 3-year-old 15" 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo MBP

    I have been using my MBP heavily for almost 3 years and even though it still works like a charm I realize that my needs probably match the MBA more. My wife is pushing me -- yes, I have a green light and some -- to replace my MBP and I was hoping for the same MBA refresh yesterday that many of you wished for.

    I'm willing to wait. If no such refresh happens by the end of June of this year, however, I'll need to consider the new 13" or 15" MBP. They're great machines for sure, but I would be disappointed to make such a decision without also having to seriously consider a refreshed MBA with at least >RAM and larger SSD options.

    I'm even thinking of ordering one of the SSDs with the MBP. Thoughts on this? :confused:
  21. melchior macrumors 65816


    Nov 17, 2002
    don't buy any mac with an SSD. replace the drive yourself with an intel or ocz. not the crummy ones apple provides.
  22. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    I'm still waiting on an Air update, but in the meantime I picked up a 2.13 GHz Air for at a 30% discount locally. I've never had a laptop smaller than 15" and ~6 lbs, so I may get spoiled by the form factor of the Air. This will also give me a chane to see if I can work within the limitations or if I need to upgrade to a 13" Pro.
  23. gri macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2004
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    Same here, including the green light (but my MBP is now 4 years old). MBA would fit my needs perfectly and complement the MP in the office. I am getting a refurbished 1.86 one now - and if the new one comes out this will be passed to my wife or sold. Reasoning is that I need one now for some heavy traveling coming up. If a new one comes out soon good, but I have at least used a MBA for the time I need it. If it doesn't (or is EOL'd) I at least have one.
  24. stewie1 macrumors member

    Feb 23, 2010
    My first instinct was to wait. Then I said "screw it, I've been waiting since last fall." Then I looked at the thin and light alternatives... all involving tradeoffs I didn't want to make. Okay, so I priced out a 13" MBP... have it sitting in my cart right now. But then I wondered whether I'd regret the purchase... there is something about the MBA form factor that I love. I just want one. I just closed the deal on a used 1.8 128gb ssd with a wackload of accessories for just over a grand. Nervous about not having a warranty or Apple Care on it, but excited to pick it up tomorrow. I'm certain to enjoy it more than the MBP, it will be a great travel companion.
  25. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    That's not too accurate a comment imo. What's your point?

    Weight and footprint on desk are more of a determining factor than thick thickness !! .... if my 13" MBP weighed 3 pounds, who'd care about it's thickness ... the Mac Book Air also wouldn't exist.

    I have a 13" MBP and a MBA and I've ordered a Z to try out. It is a powerful machine, as or more powerful than the 13 and 15" MBP's with a weight of 3 pounds as with the Air and a very small footprint ... thickness doesn't become much of a factor now does it ... unless you're trying to stuff it in a envelope.

Share This Page