With respect to hardware performance, 13"MBP vs 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkserith, May 30, 2010.

1. darkserith macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently ordered a 2.66 ghz 8gb RAM 13" mbp. The total was 1759 with educational discount, and around 1920 with tax. It's expensive, but it was for my sister. She will be attending ucla, and they said they'd cover her laptop expenses up to 2,000. I wanted her to try out a mac. Since she will be university student that needs portability, and because she personally has said that the macbook pro 15 is too bulky, i decided to max out the MBP 13".

Was this a bad or good choice with respect to what she will be doing with the MBP 13"? Since she is doing engineering, most likely she will be using autocad, solidworks, matlab, ect...

Did she need a 15" MBP for those kinds of apps? Because she doesnt do any photo or video editing, ect...

so my question is really whether the specs on the MBP 13" that i maxed out on is good enough for engineering

thanks

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

They way you maxed that thing out she'll be just fine...:D
    The 13" is the better choice for most college kids that will be porting it around as the form factor and weight is perfect for that type of use...

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What you got her is definitely good enough for an engineering student; in fact 8GB of RAM may even be overkill. It should last her through her time as an undergrad.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

sounds like the perfect mbp for her needs. good choice on the 8gb ram, u never know when it will be needed. if she does, it'll be there! :)

5. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

13" MBP is the perfect college laptop, IMHO. I'm a visiting professor at Stanford, and you see 13" MBPs everywhere. Great choice.