With SSD prices dropping, will rMBP prices drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Aug 17, 2012.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

With SSD prices dropping like crazy (a 512 Gb SSD can be had for $300 only now) do you think Apple will lower the rMBP prices or at least the price difference between the 256 Gb and 512 Gb versions?

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am sure with time Apple will lower their SSD prices. When? I have no clue. I would expect within 2 years or so that 256GB SSD will be standard, but no one really knows.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

No chance. Have you seen the Mac Pro pricing? What they release is what they release. If the price of parts happens to drop the savings is passed along to Apple.:p
    Make sure you buy at the start of a cycle and you lose less money.

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily true. The first MacBook Airs came with regular hard drives. Now, they come with really good SSDs and are actually cheaper than last year's models. I agree their upgrade prices get ridiculous, but with advancements in technology, Apple tends to start their base models off with better hardware.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, just like you said, compared to the previous model. ;)

Next year the 512GB option may be the price of the current 256GB option (actually I see more likely Apple will stick in a 384GB model instead).

For the current refresh cycle, these prices are here to stay. Apple won't be dropping prices this year.