With the 24" ACD being discontinued, what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by genkiginko, Jul 27, 2010.

1. genkiginko macrumors newbie

I've got a new MBP 15", but have had my eye on the 24" ACD which I found out today is discontinuing. The MBP replaces a White iMac.

The MBP is used for productivity (word/excel/powerpt), skype, mail and web browsing. An ACD is desirable because I want to use two screens for multitasking etc. I don't want to overload the MBP with photos, Itunes content etc so am considering a second computer which will be used for basic photo editing and iTunes content (and storing all that crap). Possible options are:

(1) Macmini (plus keyboard and mouse) plus Apple 24" ACD (so it can be used with both the Macmini and MBP); or
    (2) 27" iMac

What do you think? (or do you have a better idea?- grateful if you could give thoughts).

Ignore the cost factor (not that $ doesn't matter, but I can work it out), as I want to know what would practically work better.

Not interested in the 27" ACD, or (for the purpose of this exercise) a LED from a third party manufacturer.

Many thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Why not just grab an external HDD in the 1-2TB range to store photos and iTunes, etc. No real need for a second computer for that. An external would be a lot cheaper than another computer as well.

3. genkiginko thread starter macrumors newbie

With the 24" ACD being discontinued, what to do?

Thanks, I've thought of that too. I have Time Capsule (1T).

However, external HDD would not give me two screens. The 27" is the only iMac which can used as the second screen.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Ah, I was meaning to include the 24" ACD you were talking about as well. Would that do what you need it to?

5. pyramis macrumors member

Storage is super cheap. Get a big external to offload your big data and get the ACD for desk work. They would make a nice package since they'll sit together and you can plug in both when you're at your desk, perfect for doing photo editing on the big screen. Also it's easy to keep an iPhoto library on an external. Same for iTunes.

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i know you aren't interested in other brands for displays but check out dell's ultrasharp display line. its all IPS stuff, just like the apple ACD.

7. genkiginko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. The extra storage solution is the ticket. Much appreciated.