Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
I'd second the agreement. The Series 3, in some form, makes perfect sense to keep around. It sold like crazy during last Black Friday, is an excellent low-cost entry into the Apple Watch world, and is still a very useful and functional device. But importantly for Apple, it is clearly a step down from the newer models (4, 5, 6), so it would cannibalize fewer Series 6 sales than a re-released 4 or continued 5 would if sold alongside the 6.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd second the agreement. The Series 3, in some form, makes perfect sense to keep around. It sold like crazy during last Black Friday, is an excellent low-cost entry into the Apple Watch world, and is still a very useful and functional device. But importantly for Apple, it is clearly a step down from the newer models (4, 5, 6), so it would cannibalize fewer Series 6 sales than a re-released 4 or continued 5 would if sold alongside the 6.

Well it only sold because it was heavily discounted during the Black Friday sale prices, it wasn’t necessarily that it made it more popular because it had ‘tons of features’. The Series 5 wouldn’t necessarily be in direct competition to the Series 6, but it depends what Apple includes with the Series 6 that actually separates that away from the Series 5 aside from AOD. There’s plenty of health improvements, sensors and other features we’re not aware of that the Series 6 could easily create that separation that wouldn’t ‘Cannibalize’ anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.