With the current intel price, is apple trialing AMDs ???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leechlife, Mar 4, 2009.

1. leechlife macrumors member

once you got your code working with x86 processor even if it's intel specific, it should not be to hard to support AMDs.
    In the past i only owned 2 machines with AMDs (all many others were intel ones), but AMD can build quite good processor as well.

So if apple's deal with intel is not compelty to their advantages, I would think they could get a very good deal with AMD as well.

I think is wasn't on apples plan to say goodbye to the "the new 8 core standart", you can spin it as much as u want, but that was a step backwards.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Have you seen Apples prices, sales, and profit margin? Sure AMD cost less, but people are still buying their machines even with the huge profit margin, why would they bother looking at AMD processors unless they have a major falling out with Intel or they start to see a major decline in sales?

3. goMac macrumors 603

Intel chips are faster and they build better chipsets. It's pretty simple.

Apple could go talk to AMD, but they have no reason to.

Apple's decision with the Mac Pros is simply because they want to build a machine with the very highest end processors. They could go with AMD, but you likely aren't going to see a price break, in since they'd likely use Opterons.

But honestly, AMD doesn't have anything like the new Xeons.

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

yea hate t say it but amds run way too hot and arent efficient enough to run in laptops/notebo0oks which i believe is where most of apples computer profits come from