With the forthcoming 'swipe down' for notifications ....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonedHome, Jun 9, 2011.

1. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

..... does anybody think Apple would provide some functionality with 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen?

It would be great if we could access the apps switcher tray (at the bottom via a 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen as the double click home button method is inconsistent as hell.

Thoughts?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i can see them implementing something like this, in fact i hope they do. sometimes when i have lots of things running on my iphone, double tap doesnt always work.

3. jayenh macrumors 6502

I agree, I'd even settle for some options on how to bring up the app switcher (not going to happen, I know). Personally I never use voice controls, I'd much rather have press and hold (for say, 1 second) to bring up the app switcher, and double tap for voice control. I agree with you, double tapping is so inconsistent and personally I'd rather assign it to a function I don't use. Swipe up would be even better though.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm not liking the swipe down so far. As of now, any time I'm in the middle of reading a long article or anything else of the sort, grabbing that notification tray takes me to the top of whatever page I'm on.

Maybe they could change the scroll to top function to a double tap of the status bar.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Genius idea.

6. matttnyc macrumors newbie

maybe this is a bug. if you start your dragging down from above the screen it doesn't do this, at least on my phone... . But you have to drag fast.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Could be. I can see sense in not having the screen snap to the top if you tap and drag down rather than tap and release.

8. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Could they end up doing a swipe up and not have the home button in the iPhone 5?

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and have been using the "swipe up from the bottom" the past year to access my the switcher tray.

I'm also using "press and hold status bar" as the home button button function. I rarely even have to touch the actual home button. (There are times in games when the status bar goes away so you do have to press the home button to exit out).

10. mz100 macrumors regular

I hate being the guy that convinces people to jailbreak
    But if u are already or plan on it once it's available for iOS 5

You can use activator which let's u program ur phone do open apps or do something depending on the gesture u make.
    For example a swipe down from the status bar opens up the app switcher for me. A swype to the right of the status bar changed the next song and a swype to the left puts the previous one
    Holding the status bar will bring up bitesms quick reply.
    U can basically do anything with the status bar, buttons, and gestures.
    Also disable features.
    So for example I could change double tapping th homescreen button to opening the camera app.

11. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Agree with OP. Really annoys me having to tap the home button twice!

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Doesn't touching the status bar at all scroll you to the top?

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes, which is what the OP is saying. but apple will fix this, it wont be a problem. sliding down will definitely only bring up notification center. it just needs to be fixed for release.

14. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

anyone else find it annoying that you have to swipe the notification 'center' all the way down if there's just 1 or 2 notifications?

i wanna quickly drag it down like 30%, take a quick peek, see if there's any notifications.
    currently, i have to drag it all the way down, drag it all the way up again.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Along with the swipe-up for multi-tasking bar, they should implement the "CLOSE" button from the Notification Tray so that you can just quit all the apps that are running with just two taps.

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i deleted iOS 5 beta, but i can assume itd be faster with one quick swipe down and then swipe up.

17. iPhonedHome thread starter macrumors 6502

YES! #EpicWinningThisWouldBe

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you need to JB :p

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

of course, but i'd just like to drag it down for an inch, never actually letting go

[​IMG]
    i find this 90% 'background' thing really really ugly, i see no reason why the notifications shouldn't show up right when you start dragging it down and then maybe they ... stay on top ... apple will surely figure something out.

currently you have to drag (flick) down THE ENTIRE THING to see that one reminder task or that one missed SMS :/

it essentially renders the notification center pretty useless (or just really unpretty, unpractical) when you have < 3 Notifications
    this is where the lockscreen shines, though

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yeah i see what you mean, if they decide to make those changes im sure itll be ready for ios 5 release.

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

of course, i respect the fact that it's still beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KV-eVHGsg&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

here you can clearly see what i mean with 'you drag and instantly see the first notification'

it DOES somewhat collide with the fact that the notification center is clearly supposed to be some sort of canvas you drag down. So a notification which would be at the bottom of this canvas but then remain in place would sort of kill that effect.

22. iFiend macrumors 65816

This used to happen to me as well. You have to be quick with your swipe down and it won't happen :)