with the new FM transmitter and GPS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The next iphone supposedly will be able to receive and transmit fm radio signals. Yes, radio on your iphone, and yes, you can listen to your iphone on your car radio with no external adapters! :) Sounds pretty amazing if you ask me.

But I'm just wondering if this is possible, or if it already exists on any current gps units. While using turn-by-turn GPS on your iphone, can you listen thru the radio by adjusting the fm transmitter on your iphone to whatever station you are listening to. BUT instead of having to listen to dead silence whenever your gps isn't talking, the iphone would have a way of not transmitting the signal while it is not talking and then turn it on when you need to make a turn. This way you can continue to listen to your music, but can still use the turn by turn gps over your radio. Or could the GPS voice just be played OVER the music, so the music wouldn't even need to be cut off?

Additionally, would there be some way to 'link' your iphone fm transmitter to whatever station your car is set to. This way whenver you change your radio station the iphone would automatically change as well, preventing the task of changing the station on your iphone every time you change it in your car?

Sorry that this is a bit long and jumbled.

2. svndmvn Guest

You couldn't control the iPhone through your Radio via FM. I doubt the iPhone would transmit music while it's not telling you where and when to turn. I think you could choose a frequency on your iPhone and then look for it on the radio, if it's not already taken by some station you should hear whatever the phone is transmitting, quite simple, be it music or directions.