With the new Macbook specs official....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jleach1, May 19, 2010.

1. jleach1 macrumors newbie

With the new macbook specs official, and the fact that they are basically the same -2gb of ram (the specs people! not the features! =D), can i count on a small bump for the 13 inch macbook pro? I was planning on buying one today...but i just can't bring myself to buy one now that the cheaper macbook is damn close. I have no reason to spend the extra money now. I feel as though apple should, at the very least, bump the base proc up to 2.6ghz.

(With all the firewire (i dont use), IR (wont use), sd card slot (no need), and metal casing (preferr....but i wont spend a dime extra on it)...well, im frustrated to say the least....time to go back to good old pal windows?

I was planning on getting the mbp because of the battery life. But guess what? Apple bumped that too.

I've heard that they have done something similar in the past...why? If i was in the business of selling macs, i wouldn't have made this move.

Can we expect apple to throw us a bone and give the 13 inch mbp a teeny bump? People were already pissed about the 13 inch mbp. I can't imagine they would just say "screw it".

-sigh-

-sniffle-

-tear-

2. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Interesting. You're not exhibiting behaviour Apple intends to illicit with the MacBook and base 13" MBP. Usually, people look at the MacBook and go "hmm, for a bit more I can get the MBP with firewire, metal case, etc." Not the other way around.

I don't get it, if you find no reason to spend the extra money, don't spend it and get the MacBook? And now that you're sorta torn between two Macs you want to go to Windows to rid yourself of the dilemma? :confused:

Apple just updated the MacBook Pros literally a month ago so you're just starting the clocks with your wait.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

And how exactly 0.2 ghz will make a difference? :/

No, they won't bump them anytime soon - they were just recently updated!

Besides, MB and 13" MBP are quite far apart in the features department to make the price different worth it.

Remember when people payed 300$ just to get that backlit keyboard on unibody Macbooks?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Before the 13" MBPs got a spec bump last month, the $999 MacBook actually outspec'ed it (250GB HD vs 160GB HD) for about 7 months.

5. jleach1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the point i was making is: i felt as though the aformentioned metal case, (ports i wont use), IR, SD card slot, 320m, and the extra battery life warranted the extra money. But now that their MB includes the battery life, vid card, and proc, there's really no value in the MBP...and i refuse to buy a macbook...too cheap looking and too girly for my taste.

Basically...the macbook pro was worth the extra money because it's insides were better. Not so anymore...

6. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I get what you're saying, but the $200 extra to spring for the base 13" MBP buys you more than say the $200 to go from the base 15" to the mid 15" MBP (just 160GB more hard disk space and a faster processor whose speed that will never be apparent to the user). It's even arguable that the $200 for the base 13" MBP offers more than the $200 from the mid to high 15".

So when put in perspective, you're not getting a bad deal for the 13" base MBP; 2GB more RAM, backlit keyboard, metal body, firewire 800, IR port, SD card slot. Of course, if you don't value any of those as you've said (or not that much), it's $200 you can't justify. All I'm saying it's not the worse model jump.

However, my rule of thumb for computer users is for them to get a Windows machine -- if you're know what you're doing, can tolerate Windows, and don't need Mac-only software, a Windows machine would give better value for money, IMO.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Upgrading the Ram to 4GB will cost nearly $100, so you have to decide if the aluminum unibody, backlit keyboard, and a few extra ports are worth the other $100.

Normally backlit keyboards on windows laptops cost $40-$50, and higher quality magnesium, carbon fiber, and/or aluminum body/chassis in windows laptops usually increase the cost of the laptop substantially. Think Ideapad vs Thinkpad or Inspiron vs XPS/Latitude.

If you feel its not worth it still, wait for the next release.

8. mingoglia macrumors 6502

It's cheap looking because it's cheaper. If you spend the extra money you'll get the non-cheap looking MBP. It's more expensive, because of the very hardware that makes it less "girly" looking. :D It's not uncommon to pay more for "cooler" looking stuff. Only you can decide if it's something that's worth the extra cost. :) I for one have a MBP. I like the aluminum and the backlit keyboard. These two things make it worth it for me. Honestly with the advancements in hardware blowing up the industry the vast majority of the users won't notice the extra processing power amongst the different models.

9. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP in that I wouldn't want to carry a glossy white laptop.

So if Apple made the Macbook Black... :eek::D:D:cool:

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I fully understand and appreciate that Apple wants to make a Laptop attractive to girls & women. Too bad they don't make it in both white & black. I bet they would sell a lot more. I know lots of guys that are on a budget in this crappy economy and can't reach for the extra money it takes to buy the MacBook Pro. Since they don't want a white laptop, Apple loses a sale. Not too smart for a cash rich company like Apple. Especially when they know better. The black MacBooks were very popular. I still see lots of them in this college town.

11. theappleguy macrumors 6502

On these forums that may be the case, but for the average consumer it is not. Unless they particularly prefer the aluminium case or need Firewire they tend to save their $$$

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

for how small and sleek the 13" mbp is. it has a lot of power to it. since its meant for PORTABILITY, the power given to it is more then enough. otherwise just get a 15" 2.66ghx core i7 and have fun with the heavy weights and call it a day :D