Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Do I have to download something? Thank you in advance.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You just plug it in, format, and choose it as time machine destination. So it’s the same as with the last OS and the OS before it :)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you, maybe I did something wrong and didn't realize it. I will try it again when I don't have so many distractions.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I just noticed the typo in the title... sorry everybody.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It didn't work, it would only go so far, then just stop....

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I should have said in the initial post. I had problems with my mid-'12 MBP and had to revert back to the previous OS before the BETA version of Mojave. I bet my external hard drive settings were reset and I have to start fresh. I went to www.wd.com and there is no listing of software for a Mac running Mojave. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Instead of Time Machine...

... Why don't you download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, and try them instead?

Reactions: arefbe

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Does CCC do a better job if moving everything to a new machine?

Well if you CCC to the External. Boot off said External to the new machine. Then CCC to the new Mac. You'll have an exact carbon copy of your old computer on faster hardware.

The real advantage is in the restore process. I've lost count of the number of times Migration assistant failed a restore or mysteriously hangs for hours on end. With CCC you can see a progress bar. If it hangs you can see which file it is hanging on. I forget if there is a setting to skip errors as I use Freefilesync. I prefer clean OS installs, clean app installs and restoring only data.

Reactions: old-wiz

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Does CCC do a better job if moving everything to a new machine?"

I can't answer with assurance, because I've never used Time Machine to backup, not once, and will never use it. (I've even removed the Time Machine app and preference pane from my Mac).

I use ONLY "cloning apps".

But, yes -- I think a recent CCC cloned backup (you could also use SuperDuper) would be better, because I've read reports that when using setup assistant with a new machine, it will go faster.

I've seen numerous reports of trying to do a migration with a TM-based backup and setup assistant just.... hangs... towards the end -- it won't "complete".

I'm going to GUESS that a potential problem with trying to migrate from a TM backup (which may contain many copies of essentially "the same thing" over and over) results in setup assistant having to "pick through" each saved version of every file -- and then try to "sort it all out".

With a cloned backup there is none of this, as there is only one copy of every file to be migrated. Faster and easier to "sort out", because there's "nothing to sort"....

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I got it to work with a little technical help on the first...... I hope it will be easier in November. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.