with the nvidia mobile GPU being defective hooplah, thinking about selling mbp for mp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

As u can see I have a 17" mbp and had it for a few months but after the nvidia announcement, Im seriously thinking about selling the mbp and using the which will cover for a 2.8ghz 8 core mp.

One of my fears is that the gpu will die over the years on the mbp and when apple care runs out or even if the mbp is covered by ac knowing that one day I would need to get it serviced..

I know I had the mp before and know what to expect and while the 17" mbp is a desktop replacement it is portable. Damn nvidia!

Sorry this is more of a venting thread than anything else.

Also curious anyone else on the same boat as I am with selling their mbp fora mac pro?

2. kabunaru Guest

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the defective chipset is the 8500 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5712519

why?

4. kabunaru Guest

Because Nvidia cards are crap it seems. :p;)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the issue is with the 8500 mobile ones

the desktop cards have had no issues as far as i know

the 8800gt is a beast of a card and i have had no issues with it

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I know about the 8500M Series being the defective ones.. but it makes you wonder.. that such an unpopular gpu would cost nvidia up to $200 mil.. there's something that their not telling the public while there is a wild spread of problems with the 8400m series as well..

But so far seems the 2.2ghz version of the 128mb vram 8600M gt card has issues. But then its only about 60+ people with that problem.. which is tiny..

7. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Given the experiences of Mac owners with the ATI X1900 in Mac Pros, is that a good idea?

My real point being, neither company has a perfect record in the last few years. Someone noted that the defective mobile chip isn't used on Macs. I'm not sure brand really matters right now.

If the nVidia brand chip really concerns you, you can at least buy refurb MacBook Pros with ATI chips if you watch the store on occasion.

8. kabunaru Guest

Do you actually think that the HD 3870 is going to be like the X1900 XT without you actually owning the card and testing it? :rolleyes:
    It's a new generation card (over the X1900 XT). Give it a chance.

9. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

No more so than switching between different types of Macs because of problems in chips that never was in a Mac.

That was a bit of a parody. You snipped out the point of the post.

There have been other problems with ATI chips in Macs in the past few years too.