With the RAM and camera differences... can we safely say Plus is the real Flagship this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1080p, Sep 12, 2016.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

OIS during the 6/6s era was 1 thing... but the differences between 7 and 7s are more substantial... that extra ram will make a huge difference IMO...

2. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If Iphone 7 has same ram as 6S plus which runs buttery smooth on os 10 then no. I'm not sold on either just yet but in day to day real world usage. I think the biggest difference between the two will be screen size.

It's like the 4gb vs 8gb or 16gb ram mac thread. When in reality the most resource intensive task many do is surf.

4. btbam91 macrumors regular

Yes, absolutely. The 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus have been the last 3 true flagships for Apple.

5. thadoggfather, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

The regular 7 battery is on par with 6s plus in specs (not sure about in real world use) and incorporates optical image stabilization, both features previously exclusive to plus models.

Now they've made it in the smaller size, except 7plus gets a 2nd telephoto camera,

(1080p screen is constant since 2014 -- neither size changed in terms of resolution so thats a stagnant, upgrade)

...and 3gb of ram (hope its not exclusive to image processing, but +1gb may not make a huge difference in development leaps much less utilization of plus size since they didnt for past 2 years,)

I'd say they're pretty on par, and +1 hr improvement from 6s plus to 7plus is a bit of a fail given its physical size. I'd expect better with more mAH and the A10 fusion energy efficiencies.

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I'm getting a 7+ and I still say no.

Reason being is that the size is just not for everyone and the new 7 is packed with great features that all in all, come so close to the 7+ that it is pretty much a wash if the size of a 7+ is a non-starter.

I'd say the regular 7 is king of the hill because it is far more usable / wearable for the vast majority.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Certainly the most "feature packed" model available.

8. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

Going by the Geekbench video posted here, with the 7+ showing 3gb of RAM, we have a winner.

9. MrXiro, Sep 13, 2016

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I agree, the size, cost and camera make it the niche product. A majority will rarely use the Bokeh and the zoom will be seldom used as well. 3gb of RAM is probably there just to assist the live view Bokeh when it's released since essentially you'll be running a dual camera system at the same time and pulling from 2 video sources on top of virtually mixing the images and live rendering of the Bokeh.

IMO the 7 is still the flagship especially with OIS which is WAY more important than 2X zoom, while it seems that the Plus model is more like the beta for future models. I suspect dual camera on the 2018 iPhone.

10. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Aren't both cameras used for most every photo taken on the 7+?

11. HaydenWI macrumors member

No. Only for the "portrait" feature, aka bokeh/DOF mode, that will be released during Q4.

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

No. You switch from the standard camera to the 2X to zoom and only "Portrait mode" will use both at the same time to catch a stereoscopic image. The "zoom" cam will then take the picture while the standard cam will be used to blur the background based on algorithms. It'll be like the Lytro cameras but without the ability to edit your focal point in post.

What they're not doing is you could actually catch a 3D photo with this as well as do software Bokeh in video. I'm guessing they're going to wait until the next iPhone to implement software Bokeh in 4K video.

13. book1 macrumors newbie

14. MrXiro, Sep 13, 2016

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

While fusion has been used on other cameras I'm not sure it's used here... mainly because there are 2 focal lengths. You can't ideally fuse 2 photos with different focal lengths.

I guess you could if you're using the 2X lens and the 1X lens would be digitally zoomed in to match the 56mm focal length and used to catch light information. Tech Crunch seems to be the only article that has mentioned this fusion technique so I'm unsure if it's factual or myth. It could be true and if it is I'm surprised Apple didn't make a bigger deal about it at the reveal.

EDIT: OK Nilay at the Verge just confirmed with with me over Twitter. There is that feature but it hasn't been mentioned but it is apparent when you put your finger over one of the lenses.

15. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

So both cameras are being used afterall?

16. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Aren't there already benchmark leaks that suggest that the 7 slightly outperforms the 7+, even though it's got less RAM? If I'm wrong, I apologize - but if that's really the case, then neither one is a true "flagship" but rather on par.

17. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I wouldn't be surprised if the 7 does outperform the 7+. It has a lot less pixels and stuff to render.

18. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Read yesterday, that you are right, the 7 is slightly ahead of the 7+ and benchmarks. Go figure

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The plus model has ALWAYS had better battery life compared to the non-plus. In addition, the plus model has always had an improved camera too.

The plus needs more RAM as it has a higher res screen. This is why the 6+ performed worse in benchmarks compared to the 6 - insufficient RAM.

20. book1 macrumors newbie

From the benchmarks posted in this review (towards the end, under Performance), the 7 Plus and 7 perform more or less identically in CPU and GPU tests. I don't expect there to be any perceivable difference in speed, at least going by those benchmarks. I haven't seen others, but whenever Anandtech's review is published, I'm sure they'll have a fairly definitive conclusion on the performance of the two phones.

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yes but on 1X it doesn't do much. It fires and pulls data that it needs. But since the 1X camera has more light it thus has more data and it doesn't do much. It's not like HDR though where it merges both pics. But it DOES fire too on 1X.

On 2X is where you'll see the most use of it in use. As it will pull more light data from the 1X lens and "fuse" it to the 2X zoomed in photo if it's too dark... kind of neat but not really needed if you don't care about zooming in on things.

I was incorrect and slightly correct at the same time.