Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In tvOS 15, Apple has simplified the process of entering a login and password with a connected iPhone by allowing for Face ID and Touch ID to be used for authentication purposes.

tvos-face-id-signin-screen.jpg

Developers will be able to implement a new tvOS feature that enables Face ID or Touch ID integration for authenticating purchases and signing into apps.

You'll see a new "Sign in With Apple Device" option when signing into an app where you need a login for the first time, so long as the developers have implemented this feature.

Users who opt to authenticate with an iPhone or iPad will get a notification on their devices that will bring them to a Face ID/Touch ID authentication page that suggests a login credential from the Keychain.

tvos-face-id.jpg

Face ID and Touch ID sign in for Apple TV apps will make the authentication process quicker and more streamlined, with the feature coming this fall in the tvOS 15 update.

Article Link: With tvOS 15, You Can Sign Into Apps Using Face ID or Touch ID on Your iPhone

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
Thank GOODNESS. It's so obnoxious when AppleTV asks you to input your password. I never understood why they didn't just let you authenticate purchases and stuff with a tap on your Apple Watch or whatever.

Reactions: orbital~debris

JSL1

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
This will be much better than having to enter passwords for different Apps.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
YES!!

I hate every couple months I go back to an app and POOF! I need to sign in again and it is a hassle. If they all at least had a QR code to make the process simpler but THIS is great. Just need to hope many developers add this functionality.

Reactions: ss2cire

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Was just talking about this last week.

Initially wondered if it would be further out (hopeful for a lounge FaceTime camera/Apple TV device that uses a spatially aware Face ID so it can locate the person holding & double-clicking a button on a remote - like how it is with iPhone currently) but this is a more immediate and simpler way to implement a quality of life improvement!

boss.king

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2009
This is great. The more you're able to authentic things on one of your devices from another, the better.

ewartjohn11

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
This already exists in a basic form when using the remote app on iPhone doesn’t it? Using iCloud Keychain access to fill in passwords?
Nice that they’re making it even more convenient when just using the physical remote

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Finally. Had to reenter all my passwords when I got my new Apple TV a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.