With Vodafone - how to make the transition to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nubben, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all,

I am under an 18-month contract with Vodafone which I am planning on breaking (move down to the cheapest tarriff and pay it all off).

Question - how does this work if I want to keep my old number? Do I cancel my Vodafone contract AFTER or BEFORE having activated the new O2 contract requesting O2 uses my old number?

Do want to keep my old number!

Many thanks!

Nubben

2. roblawton macrumors 6502

First you downgrade your tariff with vodafone, then tell them you want to cancel and you want to keep your number.

Basically, once you've paid the cessation fee (early-cancellation fee) they'll give you your PAC - then when you activate your iPhone with iTunes - away you go!

3. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks Rob!

Do you by any chance know how long the cancellation process (incl. paying off and PAC code delivery) will take?

Nubben

4. roblawton macrumors 6502

I'm not sure with Vodafone, you may be able to get the PAC over the phone as soon as you pay.

With some though, you have to wait 3-5 days for it to be sent to you (via sms and post)

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You may have to wait until your next billing date until you are able to pay off the contract at the lower rate. That's what I have discovered with T-Mobile anyway.

6. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Why dont you just buy an unlocked iPhone and put your vodafone sim in it?

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That's what I did. The only thing I don't have is visual voicemail. My tariff is better at £22.50 a month for 120MB data, (used 10MB this month so far - 3 weeks) and 500 SMS, 250 mins. :cool:

8. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Working for Vodafone I can tell you that just dropping your tariff down to CTRA-75 for £20 a month, you'll have to wait until your next bill before opting to cancel.

Also you can't drop your priceplan down to CTRA-75 unless you're past 9 months in your commitment terms of this contract, then you'll have to contact CS to tell them you're wanting to cancel, they'll explain the cancellation procedure and the cancellation charge, 30 days written notice, also in the cancellation letter you're going to write, request your PAC code and it should get sent to you in the post within 5 days, but trust me, you're not going to be ready for the Nov. 9th release.