With what can I glue my screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by foolfully, Mar 4, 2018.

1. foolfully macrumors newbie

My watch dropped and just the bottom corner cracked so I’m trying to decided what I can glue in the tiny hole to keep moisture out. I ordered a bumper cover so it will be covered and I’ll be protected in future. I have black watch so maybe something black can keep moisture out and keep crack from spreading. What should I try?

2. Relentless Power, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Is there Reason you don’t want to repair the display?

No matter what glue you use, it’s not going stop moisture from developing inside the display, now that the display is compromised, which OLED is sensitive too. Gorilla glue would likely be the strongest bonding, but it also could have a reaction with the display causing it to formulate a grayish crystallized appearance.

3. foolfully, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

foolfully thread starter macrumors newbie

Repairing the watch screen cost $250 which is more than the watch cost.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Trying to repair it yourself with over the counter glue is a waste of time.

5. foolfully thread starter macrumors newbie

It’s not water resistant, doesn’t stick or degraded fast?

6. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

There's a reason Apple build these things the way they do. Once cracked you can never ever repair the screen with glue.

A water molecule measures just 2.75 angstroms. To put this in perspective, a millimeter measures 100 million angstroms.

So a moisture seal has to work at that level to protect the watch. So no, glue will not do the job.

7. Pmxbass macrumors newbie

Cyanoacrylate glue, (crazy glue, super glue) make sure you buy one with thick enough viscosity and not the water thin one. I use this very freuqntly in guitar building to fill holes in wood, dries very hard and no moisture will get in if you've filled the hole completely, however it won't be a competely invisible fix and if you mess it up and drop it/leak on your screen it won't come off and harden there. Use at yout own risk.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2018 ---
    Actually if you post a photo of your watch with the issue i may be able to guide you through it, or see if it would be at all possible

8. jcuecker macrumors newbie

Composites engineer here. I would not recommend using Gorilla Glue. Use an Epoxy like Devcon 31345 or a UV curing adhesive like Loctite/Henkel 349 (requires UV light or possible to use sunlight). The easiest solution would probably be a windshield repair resin (flowable silicone) like Permatex 81730

9. Asha246 macrumors newbie

Asha246

Did you try anything? What worked?

I have a crack along the edge of my watch, just want to fill it with something to keep it stronger.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2018 ---
    Windshiel repair resin sounds good. Do you know anyone who tried that for the watch? Thanks.