Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia-owned Withings today announced the launch of its newest activity tracker, debuting the Withings Steel HR analog fitness tracking watch with a built-in heart rate monitor. Like the Apple Watch, it uses green LED lights to detect variation in the level of the blood in the wrist, a technology known as photoplethysmography.

Available in two sizes -- 36mm and 40mm -- the Withings Steel HR uses the same design language as the company's previous fitness tracker, the Activité. It features a simple and stylish analog watch face with unobtrusive digital meters for tracking heart rate and movement over the course of the day.

withingssteelhr.jpg

It has a stainless steel casing, chrome hands, and comfortable silicone straps. The 36mm watch (available in black or white) comes with an 18mm band while the 40mm watch (black only) comes with a 20mm band. When worn, the Steel HR measures continuous heart rate during workouts, average heart rate during the day, and resting heart rate when sleeping.
"Whether you're an athlete or simply trying to lose a few pounds and get a better handle on your health, knowing your heart rate can help you better understand your overall health and reach your fitness goals," said Cédric Hutchings, VP of Digital Health, Nokia Technologies. "With the wealth of insights it provides and the extended battery life for a health watch of its type, Steel HR truly is the first of its kind."
A sub-dial on the Steel HR tracks the percentage of a user's daily activity goal that's been achieved, while an added digital screen displays health data like heart rate and notifications from a connected smartphone. The data that's displayed can be changed using a navigational button on the side of the watch.

withingssteelhr2.jpg

The Steel HR features a rechargeable battery that lasts 25 days per charge and it has a backup power save mode that offers an additional 20 days of battery life. In power save mode, heart rate tracking is disabled, but it continues to monitor basic activity. The Steel HR is water resistant and can be used when swimming.

Withings will begin selling the Withings Steel HR at the end of October. The 36mm version will be priced at $179.95 and the 40mm version will be priced at $199.95.

Article Link: Withings Debuts New 'Steel HR' Activity Tracker With Heart Rate Monitoring

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Now THAT is a nice, classic looking watch. Felt a bit dorky wearing my AW, eventually sold it and have gone back to wanting something more traditional looking like this.

Reactions: chrismail627

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Steel HR—sounds like a mix of the Pebble Steel and the Charge HR from Fitbit—but looks like a cross between an Apple Watch, Galaxy Gear and a classic watch. An interesting option. As long as it works well, given the looks, notification capability, price, water proofing and battery life I think this could easily be their best selling fitness tracker to date. The black one looks especially slick given that it better hides the edges of the circular display. I could see myself buying this if the Apple Watch didn't exist, especially since I'm more fond of round watch faces.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I like a classic looking watch. I would like to track my HR during fitness activities. It looks like these guys nailed it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like it. I recall months ago Macrumors posted an article on Nokia joining in with the Smartwatch world.

Nokia has been around while. I'm curious to see how this does. And affordable.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
As someone who owned their Pop model, it's not bad really and the steals trackers is actually pretty neat and had I not already gotten myself an Apple Watch few months back, I'd have been definitely interested.

More or less, I would so upgrade the current Apple Watch in an instant if they were to make it round! :)

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Been using their products for a year and a half now. The Activite is a solid product, however I do wish they had the option to buy it without a band... Their silicone bands have the same problem all other do, eventually they just get gross no matter how much you clean it.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
The brown leather on white is so classy.

I've been wearing my :apple: Watch since launch but it does get tiring having basically another mobile phone on your wrist and two devices to charge every day.

What struck me was the 25 days battery life for this and the simplicity of having it do fitness tracking / alerts without an overload of information flashing up.

Heart rate on demand is a massive feature and brings this watch into play for me. The ability to track your workouts on demand as soon as you start walking / running / playing sport without even opening an app. If that works well, then I am converting to this watch.

It all hinges on what Apple have to offer on the 7th.

phpmsayn0.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The brown leather on white is so classy.

I've been wearing my :apple: Watch since launch but it does get tiring having basically another mobile phone on your wrist and two devices to charge every day.

What struck me was the 25 days battery life for this and the simplicity of having it do fitness tracking / alerts without an overload of information flashing up.

Heart rate on demand is a massive feature and brings this watch into play for me. The ability to track your workouts on demand as soon as you start walking / running / playing sport without even opening an app. If that works well, then I am converting to this watch.

It all hinges on what Apple have to offer on the 7th.

View attachment 647998
I wonder, is it possible to get it to display nothing at all unless called for? And with the original Activite, you can tap on the glass and it'll show your alarm time or something, is it the same with HR?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.