Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Announced earlier this year at CES, Withings today officially launched its latest connected health device, Thermo, a contactless thermometer approved by the FDA that "yields the most precise temperature possible" for parents looking to diagnose not only their children, but themselves.

With a connected app, which syncs to Thermo firstly through Wi-Fi but defaults to Bluetooth if Wi-Fi is unavailable, the company aims to track anyone's rough patch of sickness with temperature logs, medicine reminders, and a symptoms tracker all available for each user.

thermo-withings-image-3-800x467.jpg

Thermo claims its "clinical accuracy" comes from HotSpot Sensor technology, which uses 16 infrared sensors to take more than 4,000 measurements and readings in one swipe of the device on a sickly individual's forehead. After finding the hottest point of contact, the Thermo detects changes in temperature and displays its highest reading on the digital screen of the product's handle, with convenient LEDs for easy visual confirmation of a normal, elevated, or high temperature based on the user's age.
Using revolutionary HotSpot Sensor(TM) Technology, Thermo uses 16 infrared sensors to take over 4,000 measurements to find the hottest point. Thermo sweeps over the forehead and measures from the temporal artery -- considered the best way to detect temperature changes, as the blood that circulates there comes directly from the core of the body.

Thermo is a game changer. Now a fast, simple, no-contact gesture yields the most precise temperature possible, and automatic sync with the dedicated app also allows you to track temperature readings, get reminders, and input related symptoms/medications right on your smartphone.
The biggest advantage of the new connected thermometer is that it doesn't require direct contact with skin to successfully read a person's temperature, which means, unlike traditionally invasive designs, Thermo avoids contact with potentially unsanitary body fluids like saliva and ear wax. Withings said this advantage makes Thermo "the most sanitary way to take anyone's temperature."

thermo-withings-image-2-800x512.jpg

All of these readings are subsequently wired into the connected Withings app (supporting up to 8 family members), which accounts for a patient's age, fever history, and symptoms, guiding users to the best potential path for treatment. After temperature is determined on Thermo, a touch sensitive pad on the device's LED readout lets users toggle through family members to assign each reading. Push notifications can also be set up, so the app will remind users to take consistent readings throughout the day.

Thanks to a partnership with Boston Children's Hospital, parents can also get even more in-depth information on what kind of medication and dosage amounts they should look into if fevers run high enough to need a doctor visit. In order to keep track of everything happening during a period of illness, they can also mark down specific notes -- like how the sick family member is feeling -- to provide a more robust view of an individual's sickness when talking to a doctor.

Thermo is available for $99.95 and can be purchased exclusively both in Apple Stores and on Withings.com. For those who invest in the company's new thermometer, the Withings Thermo app is available for free on the App Store now. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Withings Launches $100 'Thermo' Contactless Thermometer for No-Hassle Readings

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As a doctor and most importantly as a parent of two children I will tell you this: these types of devices don't work. You measure five different times and you will get 5 different readings.

Cheers . Good to know

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
As a doctor and most importantly as a parent of two children I will tell you this: these types of devices don't work. You measure five different times and you will get 5 different readings.
Inaccurate temperature readings can, in a very real sense, be life-threatening because it can mean the difference between seeking professional medical help and not. I'm surprised these devices are not regulated more effectively to remove the less accurate ones from the marketplace.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

You're the doctor. And I've never owned a non-contact thermometer. But looked into them and a lot of what I read was that they were pretty accurate.

"The non-contact infrared thermometer is a reliable, comfortable and accurate option for measurement of temperature and is very useful for the screening of fever in the paediatric population. More studies are recommended to support the evidence found in this study and compare its accuracy with more complex devices."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21651612

But would be happy to see more data on them.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

I guess the same can be said of an oral thermometer, especially if it's a child or baby that doesn't want the intrusion.

But seriously, since you are writing off this and all devices like it...how can it even get to market? Assuming you mean 5 very different readings, wouldn't it fail standards and certification or be forcibly recalled? Or are you being pedantic and arguing about differences of 0.1-0.3 degrees...i.e. the same uncertainty as an oral thermometer? Assuming the former in Australia it's within your consumer rights to get a refund if it's "not fit for purpose". A thermometer that can't measure accurately is the very definition of not fit for purpose and if proven the ACCC would forcibly recall and potentially issue fines and other requirements.

No offence but without evidence your statements sound a bit arrogant. Not saying you're wrong or that I don't believe you.

At any rate if a baby has a fever I'm pretty sure it would be obvious for reasons in addition to feeling warm or getting a high reading.

But you tell me since you're the doctor!

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
You can buy a $200 thermal camera for your iPhone that will let you see in real time the wide variation in skin temperature (among other uses...)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Nah. We have one similar to this that matches over and over the type that is used oral. I have an oral version that connects to my iPhone and records temperature for future reference. Works well. The one we place on the forehead is within a tenth each time we use it to compare.

The ear versions have been the weakest for us. Over time we have owned a ton of different styles.

Perhaps you used one early on and ever since have just not liked them or perhaps they are not as consistent as an oral version. I like the contact versions because we give fluids during fever to hydrate and cool which can effect the reading of an oral thermometer.

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
I see zero advantage over the traditional one
Depends if you are using that traditional one axially, orally or rectally! The non-invasive nature of these kinds of devices is really awesome. Even if you follow the directions and repeat 3 times plus the occasional behind the ear measurement. As others have mentioned it's more reliable and reproducible than anything but a rectal measurement.

B

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Why do all things need an app? Water bottle! There's an app that says how full it is! Thermometer! It has bluetooth! You don't need to surgically implant it!

I see zero advantage over the traditional one:

Digital-thermometer-1140x625.jpg

this one looks cooler and people who see you have it will also think you are cooler. you can brag about it to your friends. it is all about the home fashion. latest greatest

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012

Perhaps, but with how much variance and compared to what other devices? To be certified it must fulfil some minimum and presumably useful/safe requirements.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Meh.

Depends if you are using that traditional one axially, orally or rectally!

And this idea that you're choosing between one of three invasive ways of measuring is a false choice. For $40 or less you can buy a forehead scanning thermometer which works perfectly well. This business of fever logs, symptom tracking, and meh reminders is fluff, as most parents will tell you.

Well-off hipsters will buy this, and not many others. Not really a "game changer."

Reactions: 69Mustang

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Why the hell it needs separate app? Why can't the temperature measurements be stored and viewed alongside other Withings health measurements (weight, blood pressure etc) in the normal app?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I was all ready to buy it. I run fevers. A lot. When I have a fever over 100, is rather an app track it. I don't feel like writing it down. My doctors like me to keep records.

However, is not showing up in the Apple store yet, so it's a moot point for me.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

That's disappointing, I was waiting for this to release.

Any other bluetooth/Apple Heath thermometer you *would* recommend? I'm assuming your objection is to the contactless method of taking measurements, correct?

edit: I think I'll buy one anyway and give it a chance. Still interested if you have alternative recommendations though.

[doublepost=1468942415][/doublepost]
Why do all things need an app? Water bottle! There's an app that says how full it is! Thermometer! It has bluetooth! You don't need to surgically implant it!

I see zero advantage over the traditional one:

It's unconscionable that they are making you buy one over your objections.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.