Without a computer: Buy a Mac Pro now or wait in pain?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlitchyGummo, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. GlitchyGummo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #1
    I am currently without a computer (except for an old first-generation Macbook) and as a music producer and web designer this is a big pain in the ass. Does anyone know more or less when the new Mac Pros are going to be released, as in: is it going to be VERY soon (weeks, a month) or just "before Christmas"?
     
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    No one knows but Apple. There is a lot of speculation (search the forums to find dozens of threads on this subject) but no one knows for certain.
     
  3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

    tsice19

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    #3
    If you need a computer now, then just go and buy one.

    If you don't need one now then you can wait but there is no certainty of when the new Mac Pros will be released.

    If I were you I would buy a MP now.
     
  4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #4
    January at the earliest. Maybe just before Christmas if Apple can get their hands on the new chips early enough.

    There is nothing new to update it with you see.
     
  5. CATinHAWAII macrumors member

    CATinHAWAII

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Location:
    --== Hawaii ! ==--
    #5
    i think this january announced, but maybe a few weeks later delivered,,,
    it is painful waiting for,, no doubt.. :confused:

    below from buyers guide...

    Product Mac Pro
    Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
    Last Release January 08, 2008
    Days Since Update 231 (Avg = 217)
    Recent Rumors

    Recent Releases
    ???
    1/2008
    4/2007
    8/2006
    10/2005
    4/2005
    6/2004
    11/2003
    6/2003
    1/2003
    8/2002
    Recent Releases
    ???
    1/2008
    4/2007
    8/2006
    10/2005
    4/2005
    6/2004
    11/2003
    6/2003
    1/2003
    8/2002
     
  6. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

    dwl017

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Location:
    Murder Capitol DC
    #6
    No one here knows depending on your location if you are in the US most Apple stores stay open until 8-9pm what ever time zone you are in go buy it tonight if you need it no pain at all.
     
  7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #7
    The new processors (Nehalem) are coming later this year, so there most likely won't be any updates until at least then. The promary speculation here is around January 2009 for the update.
     
  8. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    Go ahead and take the plunge. Try out Amazon.com as they have rebates and you pay no tax.
     
  9. Thiol macrumors 6502a

    Thiol

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #9
    Around MacWorld 2009 at best... I think we'd all be surprised if they were not released with a major event. So to answer your answer, this is probably not soon. I might just go ahead and buy...
     
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #10
    Due to the fact that you do not have an existing computer (except for your MacBook which does not seem to suit you for you needed tasks), I would say that you should go and purchase a Mac Pro now. :)
     
  11. flieschut macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #11
    I think that if you need it, don't wait. The current mac pro is already very powerful, and most of its limitations have to do with software that isn't multi-threaded yet, so until that happens, speed increases are not so important IMO.
    Todays mac pro will be a workhorse for years to come.
     
  12. isauce macrumors regular

    isauce

    Joined:
    May 21, 2008
    #12
    The Mac Pro is a powerful machine, and if you buy now you will be happy with whatever you want to do with it. Once you buy a computer, it will become obsolete the next day. No point in waiting, unless you know its going to be updated soon, and if is a big one, then the pain of waiting will pay off. Either way, good luck.
     
  13. notjustjay macrumors 603

    notjustjay

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    Location:
    Canada, eh?
    #13
    You could just buy an iMac, refurbed, and sell it when you get your Mac Pro.

    The iMac isn't going to be as powerful as the Pro, granted, but it's reasonably close, and it's sure better than nothing. And resale value is very good. Just run a second 24" or 30" LCD monitor from it.
     
  14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #14
    Agreed. It sounds like you need one now, not months from now.
     

Share This Page