WithOUT Confidence... I bought a 32gb

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SteelerMac, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SteelerMac macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of the comments/questions/insight, I read over the weekend, I went to my local Apple Store and bought an iTouch. I have a corporate/govt 6% discount that I used.. so...

I grabbed a 32 gb ITOUCH... as I waited in line.. I changed my mind, and said.. "more space is better"... so asked for the 64 gb instead....

I bought the 64gb for 399.99 - 6% discount...

I went to my car... started thinking about it.. (never opened it) and changed my mind (Wow.. I had a lot of confidence, don't I?)

I went back and exchanged for the 32gb model for 299- 6%....

I have a 4 year old Nano that I am replacing..with all of the rumors about changes or lackthereof coming, I decided that the 100 was worth more to me than the extra memory..

Obviously, I don't have a lot of confidence in my purchase. (hence this post)

Would love some of your thoughts on my purchase... you think the 32gb was the right choice?

Other alternatives are/were:

64gb for 399.99
    OR

Buy a 2nd generation for 8gb for 100.

Chime in guys.. (and gals)

SteelerMac

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Depends greatly on your financial situation/ need for memory.

Welcome to the forums.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Without knowing your uses for the machine, it's hard to say, but I don't think you can make a wrong choice, especially if you won't use the camera.

4. buxtone17 macrumors regular

I have no idea if the 32gb touch was the right choice because I don't know you or anything about you. I don't know if you have disposable income or if you could have used the money on something that you really needed, etc...

That said...

If you're second-guessing yourself, just return the touch, save your money (or spend it on something you're sure you really want/need) and stick with the nano.

5. Dieder macrumors member

Well I sold my Ipod Classic 80GB because I was planning buying a Touch. I have a lot of lossless music (especially bootlegs) so 80GB was just enough. I bought a 32GB Touch and I know that's not enough to store my entire library on it but hey, I can change the stuff on my Touch any moment if I want to. I didnt want to spend 90 euros more on 32gb.

6. SteelerMac thread starter macrumors newbie

or 8 gb 2nd gen

I think I was more confused about whether to just get a used 2nd generation for 8gb (sold on Craigslist) vs the 32gb/64gb 3rd gen.

if APPLE does release a camera enabled device in the next 6 months, I think I may have made the wrong move buying today, but time will tell.
    Like any technology- you can never really be ahead... just trying to prevent a dumb decision...... I hope the new processor really makes a difference... I made the update my primary decision factor for buying the new model.

Given my used for the itouch, I think 32gb will be plenty. The ability to upload photos and geotagging pictures seems very cool.

When i went to best buy to buy a case, I did notice the clearance on all ITOUCH 2nd gen cases... likely a clear indicatior of something on the horizon...

Sounds like there is mixed debate on that one.

Lots of rambling in this post.. thanks for reading.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I almost did the same thing but thought about how a few months from now, I'd be kicking myself wishing I'd spent the extra $100. I'm going to be able to store so much cool stuff on here.

8. SteelerMac thread starter macrumors newbie

9. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

I just bought a 32gb ipod and got it today in the mail.

It was worth it. I think 32 gigs is more than enough.

I got 2% off tho, via bank of america.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I got the 64...I've been wanting a Touch for a long time (even more so since they updated the Remote app to work with Apple TV), but I was holding off for more capacity. This last refresh finally made me buy :)

11. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Well, I am assuming you have an iPod nano 8 GB.

What is the main reason for upgrading? Replacing a broken device, more storage space, more performance, bigger screen, camera?

If you liked the form factor of your old iPod nano, then I would suggest you upgrade to the latest iPod nano. You will see a lot of upgrades there.

If you think that you want a bigger screen size and a lot more storage, but don't care about the additional features from the latest iPod nano, then the iPod touch 32 GB is a good choice.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

If you have a government discount...I assume you're a public servant for your state. I think you should get the 64gb just because it's only around 90 something dollars in difference due to your 6% discount.

I look at it as doubling what you would get with a 32gb for $90 more. I guess you can even sell it if you didn't like the 64gb and buy a 32gb :D

13. mexxx macrumors newbie

i would simply buy the ipod elsewhere. firstly because you can get a bettter deal at other retailers such as Frys/Costco and bestbuy. secondly i think the return policies are even better, aiming directly @ costco here... where u get a 3 month test drive... and i dont think they charge a restocking fee.. so something to look into.

14. BrainTuba macrumors newbie

Totally agree - I'm all about Costco for my pending iPod Touch purchase. Problem is, Costco doesn't have them yet and doesn't know specifically when they'll be coming in (I'm in Toronto and checked late today) and I'd love to have one in my hands already. But the 90 day return policy is worth it for me... even if it's several more days, I'll wait for Costco.

15. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The 32GB for $299 seems to be the best bang-for-buck.

I purchased my 8GB at $229 last year at Best Buy, now I wish I had paid the extra $70 for something 4x the size. :(

16. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I have the 64gb which arrived today and I love it. I also debated on which one the 32 or 64. Went with the 64 for the simple reason Double the memory for $100 more. It was a no brainer for me.

One can never have enough memory:D:D

I didn't want a camera so I am one of the few who think this iTouch is a worthy improvement The hardware/software improvements are worth it.

If it were me I would sure go for the 64gb especially since you have a discount. $90 for double the memory should be a no brainer for you as well. So what if you don't use all of the memory, at least you have the room to expand.

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Uhm yeah.

18. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I got my 32gb yesterday. Big improvement from my 1st gen. the screen seems better, its blazing fast and think the external speaker is great. Glad it didn't come with a camera as I don't think it needed it. My cell phone has one and does the job. Now if apple really wanted to add a killer feature would be to set aside (say 2gb, user control) as a storage device to plug into any computer to be recognized as an external drive.