General Without jailbreak, I am lost -- electronically

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Jan 27, 2014.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I have tried bone stock iOS. Say what you will, I find the experience crippling and haunting and moderately insulting at times. had every iPhone 1st gen to 5, skipped 5s. Almost skipped 4s but got a great CL trade+cash for it from my 4, and it was a really nice upgrade save for the battery life. Had iPad 1-3, dabbled with 4 and a mini, and sold my 3 for an rMini recently-- jailbreak is key on the pad as well. And apple tv, for xbmc. But I have an atv3 that is nice for 1080p and hbo go (dont feel like updating my atv2, it works perfect)

I dabbled with a Galaxy Nexus between 4s and 5, and then between 5 and 5s (which I had no interest in getting-- no offense, will wait to use an upgrade or spend that kinda cash) I tried Nexus 5 and loved it for a bit and custom kernels/nav bars/boot lgoo. But not having music in the car (my car only accepts 30 pin, which I do to Lightning ofc) was the dealbreaker.

And jailbroken its a delight, I'm enjoying the hell outta 7.1b2. Freshens every thing up from iOS 6.1.2 I was on and tweaked out like crazy.

My phone is perfection. And mini (I tried a n7 1st gen, not a fan of android on tabs at all). Without this, I am lost. electronically.

Shout out to the league of extraordinary beta 2 gentlemen :p

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I don't see how you could actually be lost w/o j/b. The phone obviously works just fine w/o being j/b.

Can you elaborate how you would be lost without the j/b?

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, while having a jailbroken device improves the user experience vastly, a stock Apple iPhone does exactly what it is designed to do.

That said, most of us miss having a jailbreak, but we are hardly "lost" without one.

/Drama :rolleyes:

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i could live without a jailbreak personally lol. stock runs just fine and since i have a mac + ipad i barely use my phone anymore except for regular texting and instagram/vine

5. Issaco21 macrumors newbie

I love a jailbreak, but if it's not available (like for a long period it was not available for the ios 6), I can live with it.

But with a jailbreak I can do a lot more, which gives my more satisfaction to be honest.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Can't live without jailbreak on iPhone , if I buy another iPhone it will be after the jb is released.

I can deal with it on iPad begrudgingly

7. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Boring on stock iOS, yes. It still does everything a smartphone can and should do.

But lost?

8. gotluck, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

cant reply to an email with an attachment of your own, one item on a list of many that iphone should be able to do stock. highly disagree with your use of the word 'should'. android can do many things stock ios can't, does that mean android phones aren't smartphones? or does that mean a jailbroken iphone isnt really a smartphone?

9. elfy macrumors 6502

10. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Use an ipad, laptop, etc.

The main point I was referring to was using the word "lost." I never said stock iOS was the answer to everything.

11. thadoggfather, Jan 28, 2014

thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's not even including those tweaks that don't have SystemPrefs.

12. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I prefer my phone jailbroken, but at the end of the day it's just a phone.

And honestly, I'd be sooo much more productive if it wasn't jailbroken. ;)

13. thadoggfather, Jan 28, 2014

thadoggfather

It's just a phone until it's jailbroken, then it's a pocketable computer of sorts.

And the sky is the limit on creativity since devs can take a crack at it...

I don't remember feeling the OS X innovation smacking me in the face any time recently. Though I do really enjoy OS X (I might have said it before, but I will say it again without hyberbole: Mavericks, in spite of its off name, is the greatest and mostly tightly implemented Mac release in recent history since Snow Leopard, and that's a statement) and prefer it to Windows, which I use 40 hours a week.

Plus I feel noobs just have ignorant opinions of jailbreak "ruining your phone" or "acting glitchy" or "piracy" being the exclusive reason people enjoy it (um, no.) and that's not to say you are a noob, just the looking down upon jailbreak in general... It isn't at all glitchy and in fact faster feeling (with NoSlowAnimation, or Springtomize, FakeClockUp, Accelerate, etc) if you're decent at knowing how to isolate issues and troubleshoot yourself/explore. I don't like when people are close minded about jailbreak because its consistent with closed ecosystem, and close mindedness... over electronics!

I kid when I say lost but I truly feel none of the other options suit me as a consumer and what I look for in devices and get joy from, you people are so literal with comments I could hurl.

I don't like feeling arbitrary decisions slap me in the face. Like a store button in music app, conveniently directing me to iTunes store where I don't wanna be. Or not being able to see how many tabs I have open on iPhone's safari without clicking the tab button. Or removing the sound most have come to expect and sort of get gratification from, unlock sound. and removing that hideous blurred dock crap. and giving music app UI some color and skinning it to conform colors of artwork. and allowing my keyboard to be black if i want it to be, since we aren't already overwhelmed with white with the new look. and removing that atrocious banner notification size. and making it so i can continue to listening to music without fear of coming across a website that has a video i could potentially play, cutting out the music i was enjoying. and flattening the icons even more since the stock look is sort of a half arsed leap from skeumorphism to flat. and i like no labels, i know what icons match up with what apps, it adds clutter seeing the names. speeding up animations. hallejulah, i dont like it shoved in my face every time im opening an app "here i go, i'm opening this application up for you. that's how great i am as being ios 7." need i go on? i like not having blur in folders, allowing folders in folders should i prefer, and the ability to not have my icons look cracked out when i move them around and tapping empty space instead of home button to stop from being able to move and delete them. and sliding up instead of home button. killing all apps with one button (you dont want to kill apps all the time, but every once in a while you do need a deep cleaning). i enjoy file structure access. i enjoy tethering without an even more absurd plan. i enjoy being able to read the screen at night without my retinas burning out. my retinas, not the devices. i like having a gesture to lock my phone without having to hit the lock button..

blah blah blah. collectively, its a different animal of an experience. iOS 25.1 over here.

If Apple opened up its API or what have you on iOS 8.0 allowing for a more rigorous quality control version of allowing things to happen outside of their sandbox, 95% of people on these forums would be screaming "its more than a phone" "innovation at its peak" all day every day.

----------

I think I could too, but XBMC on the pad is really, really nice. And having a handful of tweaks, including f.lux for late night reading. So maybe not?

rMini wasn't of interest to me until jailbreak came along to finally convince me off loading my trusty 6.1.2 iPad 3.

And I certainly won't consider iPhone 6 until its jailbroken. I'll take a smaller screen and freedom over a big screen and no freedom

Different strokes..

14. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - a jailbroken ipad is a full fledged computer and I love it. All the common complaints about ipad limitations are gone, but you get to keep the slick/fun experience. I realize most people don't care, but I'd argue that jailbroken iOS is the best mobile OS out there, it's just such a pain in the arse. The waiting and usually not being able to stay up to date are lame. Oh yeah, and not being able to restore outside the signing window - so no big mistakes allowed

I guess what I'm saying is that I have a higher tolerance for stock ipad. Which isn't very hard because I have no tolerance for stock iphone.

15. thadoggfather, Jan 28, 2014

thadoggfather

I agree, I so wish this whole geohot race/money rat race thing didn't happen and we had it by 7.1 GM but oh well. 7.1b2 will do, and looks like 7.1b3 will for you as well judging by your sig ;)

Plus who cares about Apple's updates when we take updates into our own hands by enhancing the experience? Apple's updates are pale in comparison imo.

I'm glad to have skipped all this 7.0.x crap and hopped right from a mature OS, that was 6.1.2, to a in-a-similar-league level of maturation with 7.1b2, something I wasn't expecting. But this as part of my experience, not to say it will be everybody's or that everybody has a bad time with 7.0.x. I know plenty of plenty that "love it."

Waiting on stock is terrible though, I underestimated how long it'd take for evasi0n to happen when it dropped by 6.1 for my iPhone 5 which I had since launch day. Never again (grateful though, I am-- it solidified my viewpoints stated in OP)

16. gotluck, Jan 28, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I hear you on stock 7.0.x safari would crash daily on my air, while jb'd on 7.1bx with tweaks I believe I've only gotten safari to crash once. I'm very glad about the whole beta situation/choice, because the air certainly suffers on 7.0.x imo.

I've been warped with my dip into android. If you buy the right device, you will get quick updates with 'safe' (more safe than jailbreaking at least) root access on day one. There are shortcomings with android of course, but you (can) own the damn device. That ease of freedom is warping my previous perception coming from the easily hackable bootrom owned iphone 4. The increase in smoothness/performance in android with Kit Kat and Android Runtime are making me rethink whether JB iOS is still worth the trouble.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't see the need for the thread. :confused:

Congrats on liking jb?

18. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I don't see the thread for your need, and thank you?

:D

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know where you're coming from.
    I was stuck for months on stock ios last year and was really missing all my hacks and tweaks.
    Definitely a way better and more useful user experience when JB compared to stock.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

21. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

going from stock iOS to a jailbreak is so exciting though, its like getting a whole new phone.

22. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I think it's exciting when you know it's a week away. Not no ETA and lots of uncertainty

23. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Stock iOS makes me browse sites looking for android phones to buy ....

24. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Always iPod Play

What the heck is that?

Cool thread- I enjoy reading other members opinions on the jailbreak scene.
    On a side note: I did Google my question and came up with nothing!

25. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

A tweak by devbug to have music app play music interrupted even when opening safari pages that show media and normally kill the music without even hitting play on the video and any other apps you specify.