Without Tim Cook, ipad would cost $5000

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Mar 24, 2012.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

http://www.businessinsider.com/if-it-werent-for-tim-cook-the-ipad-would-have-cost-5000-2012-3

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Cook is a logistics/sourcing monster. If you take a look at the initial supply of this iPad launch, it will become clear how crazy of a logistics/sourcing monster he is. Even the displays he ordered were delivered in force and to the cost specs. For those with backlighting issues, it's due to that cost trimming. You are however getting the most advanced displays at the same cost of the device last year. Kudos to Cook and his team for getting ops done so well.

3. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I'm not surprised. Steve knew what he was doing when he left Apple in Tim's hands. He was most likely the reason why there were enough iPads at launch this time around too.

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Tend to agree there too. Me thinks Mr. Jobs made the correct move, leaving Mr. Cook's in charge. :cool:

I have high hopes for Apple and I hope their future products are still as awesome as they are now and Apple continues to grow and grow. :cool:

5. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

No one will, ever, and I mean, ever, be able to fill that man's shoes.

7. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

8. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Tim is finally getting the recognition he's worked hard for. Steve wasn't stupid, he wouldn't leave the richest company in the world in the hands of someone unless he knew deep down that they could continue to take the company upwards.

And I was impressed that Apple finally planned this launch a whole lot better than previous ones.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

There's always a man behind the man. When you playing for a winning team, it usually beez like dat.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

An iPad @ $5,000.00? Wow, could you imagine how much a Mac Pro would cost if he didn't work there?!? :eek:

And here I was thinking they were too expensive...

11. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Steve would not have made it without an amazing team such as Woz in the beginning or Cook recently.

12. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the thing is, nobody is good at everything, and while Steve was an amazingly innovative and creative engineer, he most likely was not single handedly responsible for the financial and marketing section that has apple so high up in the ranks.

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The difference between Jobs 1.0 and Jobs 2.0 is that when he returned to Apple, he knew that he had to surround himself with the best of the best in each aspect of designing, producing, and marketing the products. That's why you see Phil Schiller, Tim Cook, Johnathan Ive, Eddy Cue, Scott Forstall, etc. in the power positions within the company. Steve Jobs was the visionary that saw how things should be done, but it was these other individuals that made sure that Jobs' ideas made it to physical product that people could buy.

14. AAPLFAN macrumors member

Article threw out a few words without any backing by facts and some of you take it as gospel. If this is the case Samsung should be dominating the PC arena. They produce around 65% of the components found in most PCs and should be able to beat everyone in terms of cost. Don't forget the screen and chip in the new ipad is made by Samsung.

Jobs and his crew did a great job coming up with UI, ID, and marketing plan. Yes Cook definitely helped with logistics, components purchasing, forecasting. But the ipad will certainly not cost $5000 without Cook. Maybe $100 more.