Without Voiding AppleCare - iColours ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Oct 16, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I thought AppleCare was only 2 years and thought mine was up this December, finally ready to add some color to my Apple logo on my beautiful White Macbook...but alas, it's 3 years...

But I don't think I care much, i mean, I do ...but really want a color awesome logo, especially since the new Macbook's came out.

How can I do this without voiding the warranty or as little as possible?

http://www.icolours.ca/

What if I got an Apple Genius to do it? Or perhaps for them to add it in when I send in my Macbook for a repair w/ AppleCare? OR what if I got an authorized Apple reseller/technician to do it?

I'm really anxious to get it soon? Your thoughts?

2. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I really wouldn't worry about it. Unless your display fails because you've put your computer back together wont then the won't flutter an eye lash.

A Mac Genius won't fit it for you because they're not allowed. If you know one they might but worst comes to worst. Your computer fails and you need to take it in for a display-related issue then just take it out.

That's my opinion anyway. I've had mine serviced under APP and I've got one in my MacBook

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Just take it off when you have to go in for the repair?

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

(Duplicate Post To Help People)

Hey guys - thought I'd share my experience with this modding!

About half a year ago I saw the colourware mod and ordered it straight away - here are some snaps from the process:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Overall it was pretty easy, however sanding the white backing off the Apple logo was extremely time-consuming, and the bezel around the screen went back on about 90% fine (calculated risk).

Photos of the finished product:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The highlight of the story is that just about a month ago, I took my MacBook into the GB to fix a crack in the right-hand palm-rest (3rd time!). I covered the Apple logo with a big tacky Aussie-Flag sticker that I got from a tourist-shop accross the road, so that no one would discover the mod unless the display was removed. The Genius also noticed a crack at the bottom of the bezel and offered to fix that too. I said yes and left the MB with them whilst I went up the coast for a week. Upon collection, I have a MacBook with an awesome ColourWare mod intact, and a professionally installed brand-new bezel!

One more clearer pic of the finished product:
    [​IMG]

//doobi18

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Such a shame you cant do this on the unibody's :(

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

TIMG tags, please!

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

@doobie