Wits End - No Sound in Windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mileslong, May 18, 2010.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

I can usually figure out any issue dealing with my Mac but this one has me stumped and I give up.

Problem: Can't get sound in external speakers in Windows 7 on iMac using Boot Camp. Sound works fine on OSX side and in Parallels

Current Status: Everything else works, I can even get sound out of the headphone jack when I make it the default but not the speakers. A red light appears coming out of headphone jack only.

Setup:

iMac 27" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Bootcamp 3.0.1
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Steps I've tried to correct at this point:

1) Installed drivers from Snow Leopard disk manually, they wouldn't install automatically saying it didn't work on this architecture.

2) Downloaded latest drivers from Realtek

3) Made speakers default with no luck, making headphones default does allow sound out of them

I am at my wits end now, it was hard enough to even get Windows to work in Boot Camp on my i7, had to use flash drive with special drivers to get it to install. I also can't get Boot Camp 3.1 to install either

I have read numerous threads on this but nothing works.

Any help would make me beyond grateful, thanks!

Mark

2. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

Man has no one else had this problem? Its like a deal killer that I cant have sound in Windows

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

Only thing I can think of is if Windows for some reason decided to port the sound to something like a HDMI adaptor... Possibly a display port?

I had this problem with my Mac Pro when using external speakers. The Jack sensing switch isn't sensitive enough to detect my speakers 3.5mm plug. This isn't a problem with OSX as it will output sound regardless but Windows refuses to output sound to a Jack with nothing plugged Into it. For me, taping the speaker cord to the side so as to activate the Jack sensing switch did it.

Obviously, this wouldn't affect your iMac's internal speakers.

Good Luck,
    Keri

4. EVGABuzzer macrumors newbie

Hi

I just joined this forum looking for information on the same exact problem so you are not alone. Here are my details.

I installed Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition in my 13" Mac Book. The Mac is not a Mac Book Pro. Its an Aluminum Uni-Body Mac Book purchased new in December 2008. The Mac partition has MAC OS 10.5.5 loaded on it. I have been told by several Apple geniuses that there is no such thing as this model so let me clarify that there is. It has no fire wire port and no back lit keys.

The problem is no sound when booted into Windows 7. Nothing out of the speakers and nothing out of the headphone jack. Audio works fine when I am booted into the MAC OS. I have not tried SPDIF as I have nothing to test it with. In Device Manager everything is fine, working normally and enabled. Speakers Properties are all set to default - 16 bit 44.1Khz sampling rate. Both Exclusive Mode boxes are checked. Enhancements are all off, level is up and balance is at 50 % Left/Right.

There are 4 drivers listed at C:\Windows\system32\drivers

dmk.sys
    HdAudio.sys
    ksthunk.sys
    portcls.sys

There are 2 listed at C:\Windows \system32

SysFxUI.dll
    WMALFXGFXDSP.dll

Provided is Microsoft. File Version says 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

5. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Does the iMac have a Cirrus audio chip? If so, then try this driver, which was provided by Apple for the latest 13" MacBook Pros.

The late 2008 Unibody MacBook has a RealTek audio chip. I'd advise you to download the latest Windows driver from their support web site and give that one a try.

Attached Files:

6. albert130180 macrumors newbie

Workaround for no sound on external speakers

Hi,

After googling for two days, I finally found a workaround for my macbook pro 15'' (macbookpro5,3).

I had sound on Windows 7 64bits (with volume ok) and without the red light problem, but i couldn't hear anything from my tv with sound cable connected to headphones. My current version of bootcamp is 3.1 (with all drivers installed from it).

I tried all kind of things (drivers from vista64, xp, bootcamp 2.2, realtek, etc.) with no luck. THE SOLUTION FOR ME WAS TO INSTALL LATEST DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA (YES, graphics drivers) OVERRIDING THOSE FROM BOOTCAMP 3.1. After macbook restart, MY EXTERNAL SPEAKERS STARTED WORKING!!!

Hope this helps to anyone.

7. akakillroy macrumors member

Thanks man, this fixed me!

8. minerva340 macrumors newbie

Thanks ssn637!!!

Just purchased a macbook pro 17" and had been struggling with the sound issue for 2 days. Fixed instantly with the new Cirrus driver! Eve

9. ulbador, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Anyone fixed this with a late 2009 Macbook?

It has the Intel HD chip and no matter what happens, I can't get sound out of it, and Windows doesn't seem to think there is a problem. Like so many others, the headphone light is stuck on.

As an edit, I had a HECK of a time getting everything working with this Macbook and 64 bit Win7. I had to install half a dozen of the device drivers manually with packages straight from the manufacturers. The only thing left is the sound (which APPEARS to be working, but switching from speaker to SPDIF and back again does nothing, though graphically the sound dings the visual meters) and some random "Bluetooth Device" that doesn't seem to have an impact on anything (the bluetooth works fine)