WLAN->MacBook->LAN->Win XP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by docjulian, Apr 14, 2009.

1. docjulian macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm rather new to the whole mac stuff but got a lot of experience on windows machines.

Well since my desktop computer (Win XP SP2) has bad wireless access, I want to share the WLAN my macbook gets via a crosspatch cable to the Win XP machine.
    They both communicate great already, I can share files, ... but internet doesn't work.

Two screens of my settings:
    [​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

[​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Should I make any changes here?

The Macbook doesn't give out IP adresses right now, maybe something wrong? So I assigned the Win XP machine a fixed IP adress in that subnet.

If you can solve this issue... whoa that would be really helpful!!!

I already read several guides but never found the solution for my problem.

Thanks!

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If the Mac's not supplying an IP address to your Windows PC, try doing the procedure detailed on this webpage. To open the file in Part 4 of the instructions you can enter this into Terminal: open -e /tmp/bootpd.plist

I followed these instructions to get my PS3 working on a similar setup to yours.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304

Good luck! ;)

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

It looks like your MacBook is using a manual addressing scheme...

To share internet properly, without added software, it's kinda of a good idea to let the Mac handle the DHCP on shared connections.

So: DHCP WLAN -> MacBook -> DHCP LAN -> Win XP.

You'll see it works better.

Now if you want to keep the manual scheme, you're going to have to provide to the XP machine the router IP, and DNS servers.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Make sure that Windows has the right DNS server, IP address, subnet mask, and router address.

If you have modified IPFW (OS X's second firewall), it may be blocking traffic. (If you don't know what I'm talking about there, you won't have modified it.)