WLAN not working properly on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lisamel, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I have had problems with my macbook for a while now. When I am at school I need to log on a 802.1x wlan with a certificate. For some reason I decided to change the trust settings, and after I did that my internet has become very unreliable. It is like the airport turns on and off all the time. I use iStat and when I look at the Network in and out values they keep changing from 0 to normal speed every second.

Today I tried to delete the certificates from school, and I think I made it work. I added two DNS numbers and a domain search address. But when I got home and started Firefox, it wouldnt work. If I went on a site, it would work, but if I clicked something, it would say that I wasnt connected.

I checked the network settings, and it said approved instead of connected. I deleted the DNS settings, and now I think its working again at home. But now it probably wont work at school. Does anyone know what to do? Has anyone had this problem?

I am debating whether to just wipe the macbook clean and start over, but I really dont want to do it unless i have to.

Thanks for any input!

Lisa :)

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can try setting up your network settings by location. I believe you can assign locations in the networking preferences, instead of using the "automatic" setting.

That way, you can localize your home and school networks and prevent them from conflicting. The downside, you may have to manually toggle between home/school in your networking menu as you change which network you're using.

3. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!

Thank you, I will try that :) Hopefully it will work!

4. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

I am now at school and have added a new place in the network setting. So far it is working, so fingers crossed it will work when I get home as well. I dont know what I have done to make the macbook this way, but if its working now then thats good :)

Thanks for your help!

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it! :)

Actually, now that you have two discrete locations, you may be able to switch the setting back to Automatic, and let the computer choose which location you're in by the WiFi environment it detects, not sure though.