Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London, Great Britain
Is there an app for OSX that I can use to play wma files without having to convert them to mp3. I have over 3000 songs and I dont want to wait for days while it all converts.

Thanks
Wilden

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
AnthonyKinyon said:
Why can't iTunes convert WMA to MP3 as it can in the Windows version?
Because OS X doesn't have the underlying Windows Media components that Windows has and iTunes on Windows uses to do this conversion.

With Flip4Mac and QT Pro you should be able to convert to MP3/M4A under OS X. (Flip4Mac adds the necessary components).

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Steve Jobless said:
so with flip4mac, itunes will automaticallyconvert wma to aac? I want to convert not play
Flip4Mac alone will only allow you to play in QT. With QT Pro you can export to whatever format you want.

B

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Assuming that Flip4Mac works about the same as the Ogg Vorbis OT component, it should let you play WMAs right in iTunes. Also, I belive VLC can play WMA as well.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
ok, i downloaded flip4mac from microsoft, and switch but i couldnt convert the files....what should i do?

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
i guess i miss understood, i would like to convert my wma files to mp3 or aac if possible, at the least i would like to play the wma files in itunes

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
If you have access to a windows computer, try installing iTunes in that, then importing all your windows media files into iTunes. It should convert them all to aac or mp3. Then drag them over to your mac.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Steve Jobless said:
i guess i miss understood, i would like to convert my wma files to mp3 or aac if possible, at the least i would like to play the wma files in itunes
Flip4Mac allows QT to play the files. If you also have QT Pro you can re-export to MP3 or AAC which iTunes can then handle.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.