wma to mp3 converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CurtisT, Jul 2, 2007.

1. CurtisT macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where I can get freeware to convert wma's to mp3's on a mac? Thanks.

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yes, use iTunes. Just drag it into iTunes and it should begin the converting process.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

that is if itunes is set up that way. go to preferences, advance, importing. the dropdown list should say mp3 if not change it to it.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

iTunes for Mac can't read .wma files. There's an app called Switch that'll convert from .wma on Macs, but it's paid software. There is a demo version...not sure what the limitations are.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

huh? I've done this in the past moving my music from the pc. Maybe they've changed it, but...

6. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Windows iTunes can read .wma files, not on OS X though.

mPlayer just played the .wma file on my desktop, so I'd imagine that ffmpeg can convert it to an mp3...

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope...the Mac version has never had it. Windows got WMA support in iTunes 4.5.

Yes, ffmpegx will also work...installation and options can be a bit complicated to inexperienced users, but it's free.

8. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Roight, I've always just assumed it did so on the mac haha because I remember it doing so on a PC. Well if that fails, there's always FFMpegX I guess :p

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EasyWMA is also not free but is very popular for this purpose.... (Easywma actually uses ffmpeg as the engine, also).

10. iCe Cube macrumors regular

Is it not free now? I downloaded it ages ago for free! :eek:

11. God^Cent macrumors member

God^Cent

Would you mind zipping your free version and hosting it on rapid share or something? If that's legal, seeing as you got it free and wouldn't be braking the agreement for that version of the software.

Oh and Ive tried Switch and it worked but didn't transfer the song's info over; instead a bland mp3... is this fixable with out having to go into itunes and fill out the song my self? And with Easywma and ffmpeg, will i have the same problem? thks:apple: