WMA to MP3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OCSpersonel, Jun 20, 2009.

1. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

so i recently used a zune on a windows desktop.i imported almost all my music through there. i just found some old files on a hard drive that are all in .wma format. i think itunes supports wmv to mp3 right? but not wma to mp3?

how to i get these songs back??? any good converters i can use?

2. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

i dont wana get trojans and spy/malware on my new shiny mac. so i hoped i could get some reliable answers on good programs that are SAFE, or even how to do it maybe via iTunes???

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you're worried about trojans, then look for apps on reliable web sites. Two good sites that are used for Mac software are VersionTracker and MacUpdate. I did a search for "convert wma to mp3" and got results for both sites. I've never needed to convert wma files myself so can't make any specific recommendations.

Also, the chances of running across a trojans is very slim and so far has only been getting around on pirated software, not legit software.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What you're asking for is still slightly unclear. Are you asking for help in converting audio or video files? The answers are different.

- Audio (wma to mp3 or AAC) -- iTunes has this ability built in in Windows only, and for unprotected WM files only. The Mac version of iTunes does not have this feature. One easy way to convert these files is to use iTunes for Windows, if you can access it. Just open iTunes, make sure that in preferences -> advanced, the import quality is what you want (AAC or MP3 and the appropriate bit rate) and then import the file into Windows iTunes. iTunes will automatically make a converted copy that you can then migrate to your Mac.

If you don't have access to a Win PC or don't want to do this, then EasyWMA is one option on the Mac (not free). There are a few other options, discussed above. I think the Windows iTunes one is the most hassle-free.

- Video -- this is a different matter entirely. There are a variety of converters, it would probably help to know the codecs involved, though.

5. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, ill just try to use win, oh and found the answer i pmed you for, please just disregaurd.

i checked the websites, couldnt find what i was looken for

and yes, wma to mp3 all audio

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good luck. :) I think the reason that Apple only includes this feature on Windows is because it makes use of some Windows Media APIs that are part of Windows. I'm not really sure, though. In any event, using iTunes for this purpose is pretty easy, and it can do all the work for you in a pretty automated fashion. Then you can just drag all the songs onto a USB drive or something and put them in Mac iTunes. :)

7. keithOrbit macrumors member

EasyWMA, this app can convert wma format to mp3.

8. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

it costs, i only have about 100 files i need to convert

9. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

It's a bit fiddly to install and use, but I seem to remember FFMPEGX will do WMA to MP3, and it's shareware so for a one-off use you might like to try that.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988/ffmpegx

Make sure you install the binaries (check the menu once you've installed the app, it explains it) for full functionality.

10. POSIXFTW macrumors newbie

POSIXFTW

Suggetsion

You might want to try an application called "Switch"

11. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, i found out that Toast Titanium converted and i had that so thats what i ended up using

12. theJamie macrumors member