WMP-MP3 iTunes-???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yettimillan, Aug 23, 2009.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi, now that I have been using a mac for a while now I haven't had the need for Windows Media Player... until now.

It seems that my mp3 player doesn't support the iTunes format of music. So I was thinking, rip my music in windows media player as an mp3, still use it on iTunes but I still have an mp3 copy of it to put on any other mp3 player.

Does anyone else do this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've converted any WMV files to MP3. No need to keep WMV files since both iTunes and WMP can play MP3s.

3. devburke Guest

Why not just change your iTunes settings to rip your music in mp3 format?

4. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

devburke...I had no idea you could do that on itunes.

Could someone tell me how to do it please. And also does this in any way effect the sound quality?

thanks

5. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh i found it, ive put it on MP3 encoder on 192 kbps.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the setting I use for ripping. 192 is high enough quality for burning CDs.

7. devburke Guest

Go to your iTunes preferences and click "Import Settings..."

Picture 1.png

In there, you can customize the format to rip your music in.

Picture 2.png

As for sound quality, that depends on the settings you use (mostly bitrate). The higher the bitrate the better the sound quality, but the larger the file. Theoretically the default format has better quality at the same bitrate than mp3, but the difference becomes negligible at high enough bitrates. The only true test of which sounds better is by listening to both and seeing what you think.

8. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular