WMV and MP4 in Final Cut?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gunnar Lind, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Gunnar Lind macrumors newbie

I'm trying to play around with videos in Final Cut Express but I have a HUGE problem: whatever I do I have to render every single time and it's taking like 15 minutes every time.
    I'm using WMV's and MP4's. I tried to change the settings but I don't know which one's to use - or is it impossible?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.gif

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.wmv and .mp4 files are not meant for editing, as they are highly compressed and do not contain every frame of the source.

In order to use those lossy file formats, use MPEG Streamclip to convert at least the .mp4 files to DV files.

Get and open MPEG Streamclip, in there go to File > Open and select your .mp4 file on your HDD.
    Then either export it as QuickTime with the DV codec or as DV file.

MPEG Streamclip export options
    [​IMG]

For .wmv files look for Flip4Mac products.

Also MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I used to Export to DV in MPEG Streamclip, but that caused audio hassles for FCE - I had to render audio everytime I did something. Using Export to Quicktime ... and selecting the DV codec results in a mov that FCE can just run with and edit with no intermediate rendering for most common tasks.

4. Gunnar Lind thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks, I'll try it. I already tried the Flip4mac but that didn't help, not even the pro version...