WMV DRM Content

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thenbagis, Jan 13, 2010.

1. thenbagis macrumors newbie

I am taking an online graduate course and just downloaded the first lecture. I tried to play it and got a message:

"Flip4Mac WMV DRM Content"
    "Flip4Mac WMV is unable to play DRM protected content"

Is there anything I can do? :confused:

2. sharkync macrumors regular

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know of any app that will play protected WMVs.

4. thenbagis thread starter macrumors newbie

sharknyc- I haven't had any luck, but the size of the file may be contributing. It's 625 mb... it's a 3 hour lecture.

ravenvil- It appears all those require windows to work in the first place. If i had windows I wouldn't have a problem.

I think for the first time, I'm seriously regretting get a mac... I knew I couldn't use it for gaming or hard core engineering software, but a media format? :(

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

This is not Apple's fault - Microsoft has never made their protected formats available for the Mac - they design them to be Windows only. It's not just something that Apple can add in - WMV is a proprietary format that is 100% owned and controlled by Microsoft. If any implementation for the protected mechanisms were to occur - it would have to come out of Microsoft.

6. thenbagis thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't blame Apple. It's just an incompatibility that I didn't realize when I spent $1200 on a computer.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Sorry, it sounded like you did - unfortunately there's nothing that you can do - as a rule of thumb, you can never expect everything (especially when it involves Microsoft and DRM) to be compatible on competing systems.

8. thenbagis thread starter macrumors newbie

At the risk of this thread being shut down, i will ask... Is there anyway to hack it? It's for purely legitimate reasons... I paid the $4500 to take the course, now I want to be able to watch the lectures. However, due to owning a mac, I cannot.

I understand and agree with not helping those download and use "warez" software, but this is different.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You'll need some kind of Windows install, be it on a friend's PC or through Boot Camp or a VM on your Mac.

Then google mirakagi. That should help to strip the DRM from the file. I don't know of a way to do it natively in OS X though.

In the future you should pay close attention to the system requirements for online courses. If the requirements aren't specified I would take it up with your institution. Maybe they have alternate formats for the lecture files.

10. thenbagis thread starter macrumors newbie

Darth Titan - I'm fighting that battle with the institution concurrently. The system requirements list Mac. I'm trying to understand why:

- if they're going to us DRM, why don't they use a cross platform DRM.

or

- What's the point of DRM? You need to pay the tuition to receive credits, anyway.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Chances are the instructor created the video on Windows using the default setting for file type which is probably DRM'd WMV. I doubt it was intentional, just the default of whatever software they used.