.wmv files???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by UltimaGTR, Apr 17, 2010.

1. UltimaGTR macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured out how to play .wmv files on the iPad yet?

2. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Convert it in iTunes. In settings or up top somewhere, it will give you a choice of an iPad friendly file conversion. You could also use Air Video which converts live or offline just about any file format.

3. calebz macrumors newbie

Real Player gives you a "DOWNLOAD VIDEO" option box to tip to download videos while you surf the Internet and after it's done, the download pop-up box gives you an option to that.

No iPad here (not yet, but maybe not ever; not sure yet), but works for sure for conversion.

4. UltimaGTR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for the quick reply, but I should have been more clear in my initial post. I get lots of emails with attached .wmv files but can't play them on the iPad like I can with my Mac and Flip for Mac. I just wondered if I'd missed something to enable the conversion of the .wmv file for the iPad.
    Thanks!

5. Doju macrumors 68000

No, can't play them natively.

But who on earth uses .wmv files actively anymore? o_O

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Until Telestream ports WMV Player to the iPad, you are SOL.

7. UltimaGTR thread starter macrumors newbie

I was afraid of that. I get .wmv files frequently, so apparently a lot of people still consider it a viable format. I agree it seems so dumb to create something for mass distribution that isn't universally useable... but there is the Windoze mentality again.

8. UltimaGTR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MisterMe... I'll have to check out this Telestream you speak of... never heard of them. Maybe with some gently coaching they'll see an opportunity.

9. UltimaGTR thread starter macrumors newbie

As an example of quality stuff being distributed in .wmv format, you football fans out there will enjoy this .wmv file with amazing CG. Sorry but this, unfortunately, won't play on our iPads.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Telestream is the developer of Flip4Mac.

11. vw195 macrumors 6502

Actually it is more the apple mentality. Try playing anything except apples preferred format on ipad and you really cant

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It is universally usable, but Apple restricts that usability on their mobile devices.

13. Doju macrumors 68000

Therefore it's not universally useable? ...

I understand not using a format Apple uses (I understand, don't condone, I think it's smart to use a universal file type like .MOV or MP4) but if you're going to use a great one like .MKV or .AVI.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

There is nothing technically preventing a WMV file from running on an Apple mobile device. It would play fine, but it's an intentional move by Apple not to allow it. So yes, it is universally usable, and roadblocked by Apple.

And you're incorrect on .MOV. It is also a proprietary format. This isn't to say that it can't be played on any system. You just need to make sure software for it is installed in order to do so. Just like WMV.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are several misstatements of fact here:
    • Windows Media is a set of proprietary Microsoft media formats based on stolen Apple code. Only Windows Media Player can play Windows Media 10, Windows Media 11, or any version of DRMed Windows Media. This is Microsoft's decision and there is nothing that Apple can do about it.
    • Numerous players can play the video inside .mov containers. This has been the case since the early 1990s when Apple made a concerted effort to establish .mov as an Internet standard media format. As a result, .mov soon became an Internet peer to the established MPEG1 (aka *.mpeg) video format.

16. kvs13156 macrumors newbie

So?

No - it's just Apple's pumpkin headed way to interfere with users desire to use their products the way they want.

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    on a side note:
    when ipad2 becomes JB, can one not just use VLC to play .wmv
    i can play .flv files on vlc on my ip4 JB?

i ssh into my media folder and drop the flv file in/out as required

this should work for ipad also, no?