Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
I have a video file in .wmv format. If I use flip4mac, it uses quicktime and I have no picture, just sound. If I use VLC, I have video and no sound. I thought mac was supposed to be easy. What am I doing wrong, here?

calguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
San Franciso Bay Area
I have a video file in .wmv format. If I use flip4mac, it uses quicktime and I have no picture, just sound. If I use VLC, I have video and no sound. I thought mac was supposed to be easy. What am I doing wrong, here?

This happens to me frequently, too. I have .avi files that need to be converted,also. These are ones that have been downloaded as a .rar file and must be decompressed. A little more often I am really finding mpg4 files which is nice. Back to the problem. I use VisulHub for all my conversions. It uses H.264 encoding(if you want to) and there are many controls for type of output and where you want to play the files, included the iPhone or iTunes. Yes, this one will cost you $24 at http://www.techspansion.com/ . It is well worth it. They do updates when changes to products appears for screen sizes and it will deinterlace those TV files that need it. The free converter has a file size limit and I don't know how long it takes for the conversions. It stitches separate files together. As you can see, I have been using this for awhile now and am learning a lot about formats and quality from experimenting. Good luck.:)

kcuf

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008

It's not because of Mac man. I use QuickTime Pro. And with the support of three applications: DivX, Flip4mac and Perian, no file that I couldn't open so far. Moreover, QuickTime Pro could also transfer any kind of movie (.wmv, .flv, .mkv for HD,...) to .mov. And that's really helpful for someone who want to burn movie to DVD or CD.

So you just need to add 3 support applications, and update Quicktime Pro. You will find Mac as easy as pie. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.