Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
I have a whole bunch of WMV files that I need to record to a DVD Video in OS X. I tried just importing them to Toast and it failed when I went to burn. I then tried to convert them first using FFMPEG, but that failed as the WMVs are wmv3 or something like that...and the codec isn't there. Then I tried converting them to .avi and even .mov using Quicktime...that worked but then the files were marked with some Flip4Mac protection when you played them back (right in the center, making the files unwatchable). Also the files went from 200mb WMVs to like 800+mb in avi and mov. I really dont want them that big anyways. I know the mark is because I only use the trial FlipMac and that's only good for pretty much viewing wmv...not any of the conversion stuff...and I don't want to purchase Flip4Mac just to burn a few DVDs.

So, can anyone tell me a free way to get these WMVs onto a DVD video. I really didn't think it was going to be this great of a challenge and I'm hoping someone else out there has experience doing this and can help me out.

Thank you,
Rahsten:apple:

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
If Flip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com) can't do it, you're stumped.

I'm not sure how Toast uses plugins - if it doesn't use QuickTime plugins, then you'll have to transcode it to QuickTime or another Toast compatible format first.

I'm pretty sure DVD Studio Pro can handle Flip4mac, but if you don't have that then Toast/F4m is the way to go.

Rahsten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Japan
so if flip4mac is the only way then that means I have to purchase it to get rid of the watermark tags on the video after transcoding?

aargh. there has to be another way.

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Why not use Visual Hub? I just tried it to make sure it worked, and it does. Just select DVD, then drag and drop your WMVs. It makes an iso for you with the video_ts folder, and will burn it to DVD if you choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.