.wmv to .mov conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mfaulkner, May 15, 2007.

1. mfaulkner macrumors newbie

Back in the days of having XP, I exported dozens of videos to the .wmv format. Is there a way to convert these to a more mac-friendly format such as .mov? I'd like to retain the original quality and if possible not have to pay for any software.

Your time starts......Now.

Thanks a bunch,
    Mark

2. mfaulkner thread starter macrumors newbie

EasyWMV

I've tried http://www.easywma.com/wmv/ but that converts files to .mp4's. I can then export this .mp4 to .mov via quicktime but the initial conversion reduces my file size in half so there must be some serious loss of quality happening?

3. mfaulkner thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Just to double-check, if you're just looking to play back the wmv's on your Mac, then all you need is the free Flip4Mac plugin; it lets you play back most any wmv in quicktime.

Should you want to convert to mov for, say, iPod viewing, AppleTV or whatnot, here's what to do:
    1) Make sure the Flip4Mac plugin is installed and working.
    2) Download QTAmateur, open it
    3) Go to File->Batch Export
    4) Drop all your wmv's in the window
    5) Choose your setting, the Export!

Keep in mind, though, that most any video transcoding will involve a loss of quality, so unless you really need the wmv's to be in mov format for a specific reason, it's best to just keep them as wmv and use the Flip4Mac plugin.

5. mfaulkner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response.

I can play the wmv's via the VLC player but I want to be able to edit these videos again in the future and having them in the WMV format prevents this.

I don't need them to be converted to mov's - just something that is editable.

Thanks.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

can someone tell me why it takes QT a reaaaaally long time to open .wmvs vs any other media file?

im talking, a minute or more on some vids. vs seconds with mpgs, avis and movs.

7. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

That's not normal. Try reinstalling flip4mac.

To the OP: Try using this free service.