Wmv

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MynameisMud, May 2, 2008.

1. MynameisMud macrumors newbie

I have flip4mac but when it opens a WMV nothing happens. It will show the file name but it won't play.

So, I decided to go ahead and download Windows media player 9 for Mac OS X. But when i went to install it i got this message:

Help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You're not installing it. You're expanding it. You'll need Stuffit to expand it, like it says in error message.

3. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

yes. stuffit will do the job.
    or view the wmv using videolan (www.videolan.org)

4. MynameisMud thread starter macrumors newbie

you guys are talking a bit too advanced for me.

maybe i should have posted this in the new mac section.

It says "Stuffit archives are not supported"
    So how do I need stuffit to expand it? What is stuffit? Is this normal for installing WMP 9 on a Mac?

What could be the reason for flip4mac not working properly?

I DLed videolan but got some error message and i didn't want to bother with that so i trashed it.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Stuffit is a crappy application for uncompressing files. One thing that sucks about it is that it has it's own special archive format that nothing else can open. Your Mac is trying to expand the files, but can't as it's in this format.

Your description of Flip4Mac and your thread title is so vague I don't think anyone can help you. Is it all WMV files or just some?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Leave Windows Media Player 9 alone. Microsoft stopped supporting it for a reason. At the same time M$ stopped supporting WMP 9, it endorsed Flip4Mac. Flip4Mac has an issue, but it is not the problem you are having. Based on your vague description, it is likely that your problem WMV files are WMV 10 or WMV 11. Nothing on the Mac--and that includes WMP 9 and VLC--plays WMV 10, WMV 11, or any version of DRMed WMV. That's the bad news. The good news is that WMV 11 seems to have taken a major step backwards since Microsoft endorsed Flip4Mac.