wmv3 wmv2 avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammy.d, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sammy.d macrumors regular

How can I play an avi file on my mac that has WMV3 video and WMV2 audio? It doesn't open in quicktime and vlc plays the first few seconds then says it is unsupported.

How can I play it? New software? Expansion codecs?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Already have Flip4Mac (the free version) installed?

3. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have that. If I try to open it with Flip Player it says the file is not a movie file.

4. simsaladimbamba

In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file.
    When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
    attachable to your next post via the [​IMG] button.
    In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

And can you link to the file?

5. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

I am now starting to think this is not a legit file. The movie is supossed to be 720p but the first screen that comes up (showing the Universal Studios globe thing) is pretty bad quality and the message that comes up over that (regardless of what it is played in) is:

Code:
    You are trying to play a HQ movie and your player does not support the file. Aborting playing, redirecting to download page:
    That runs for about 20 seconds, which is what VideoSpec says the duration is. I have attached the report.

The movie was a torrent. Should I post the link? I'm not sure on the rules about that...

Attached Files:

6. simsaladimbamba

It is a FAKE torrent, and no, do not post links here, as that is forbidden.

What you saw, is actual video and not a message by the player. The FAKE just wants you to go to that site and download some software, which is probably Windows malware anyway or wants you to pay for something, that does not exist.

Just know, that hardly any torrented movies or TV series use WMV as container, most use .AVI, .MKV or .MP4.

7. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thanks.

Just another quick question. Once I downloaded and installed flip4mac, quicktime still couldn't open the file at all, not even to show that Universal intro scene and message. VideoSpec said quicktime should be able to open it with flip4mac, so why couldn't i open it? Do I actually have to setup something for quicktime to be able to use the flip4mac components?

8. RightToDream macrumors newbie

9. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

I do. But I prefer Quicktime and ti is apparently supposed to work. Do I have to do anything to make quicktime recognise flip4mac?

10. simsaladimbamba

Not that I know, but maybe Flip4Mac does not understand the file at all, due to its use of Divx audio. If you have problems playing such files, they are FAKE or badly transcoded.
    I normally use VLC Player to play WMV files and have not had a problem doing that.

----------

Did you install it? Did you restart your Mac (not necessary)?

11. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

I ran the installer and that all went fine (never restarted, wasn't told to). I don't think flip4mac should be having trouble with the audio because videospec said that quicktime with flip4mac is what I should use to play it...

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Flip4Mac works just fine with legitimate non-DRMed .wmv files. What do you hope to gain with that fake video?

13. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing. I just thought that quicktime should be able to play that first part because I have Flip4Mac installed. As it cant play it, wouldn't that imply that there is either something wrong with my Flip4Mac setup or VideoSpec is giving incorrect information on what players can play what....

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Earth to sammy.d, it is a fake! Do you really expect a fake .wmv video to be standards conforming?

15. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

It may be a fake in that it isn't what it said it was going to be but it is actually a video and must be encoded in some way (and obviously works because it plays in some movie players). So if it is a real video encoded in a real way and VideoSpec says that Quicktime should be able to play it, what is going wrong? Or are you saying that a file can label itself as being encoded in a certain way but be something entirely different? If so, how can you determine what it is actually encoded with?

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I think that you need to talk with people who actually produce these fake videos. Members here don't do that.