WMV9

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I believe you can also use MplayerOSX or VLC. Google either of those, and they can be your default player for all video files.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
varmit said:
I believe you can also use MplayerOSX or VLC. Google either of those, and they can be your default player for all video files.
VLC is a most excellent player, on OS X AND Windows. It seems to come with every codec under the sun included!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
hob said:
VLC is a most excellent player, on OS X AND Windows. It seems to come with every codec under the sun included!
Windows Media 9 and 10 are closed proprietary Microsoft formats. Only Windows Media 9 can play Windows Media 9 files on the Mac. Nothing on the Mac plays Windows Media 10. VLC can handle every version of Windows Media prior to 9. For this format, VLC displays the following error message:
vlc media player 0.8.1 said:
main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
And if you need an amazing video converter use ffmpegX...no "THIS FILE WAS MADE USING AN UNREGISTERED VERSION OF..." messages on your saved files...and you can choose what audio codec you want to use, video codec, etc.

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2004
behind you!
ok sorry i did not make myself clear, i already got VLC

( main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format. )

Will ffmpegx handel this format?

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
KooBrewoP said:
ok sorry i did not make myself clear, i already got VLC

( main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format. )

Will ffmpegx handel this format?
The only player on a Mac that will play the video is Windows Media Player 9.

It's a terrible port (much slower than it is on a PC) but there's not much we can do about it. :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The best thing to do is to ask the content provider for a different format. If nobody complains, then they'll continue to distribute their videos in the awful WMV9 format.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
WMV 9 files can only by played on Windows Media Player.

WMV 10 files cannot currently be played on Macs. Thankfully I haven't come across anything only in this format yet that is worth viewing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.