WMware or Parallels ??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fab5freddy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Which is a better virtualisation for Windows ?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This has been asked multiple times and you will find a lot of threads full of advice if you use MRoogle

Bottom line... both do the job, and both have their fans

Best thing to do is download the trial of both and use them yourself to see which is best for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

4. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I've used both, but am now using VMware. I used Parallels for almost 3 years, it was good. But I did have a few support issues where trying to get help was a pain. Once I had a corruption issue with an expanding disk drive image that could not be recovered. Another time an upgrade of Parallels somehow messed up the default applications under OS X.

The last issue was where right clicking on a file in Windows was causing a delay while my external RAID array had to wake up the hard drives. THis caused a 20 second delay many times a day. This problem only arose after an upgrade. The RAID array had nothing to do with anything in Windows, but it drove me nuts! (Ok, I was already nuts)

The tech support folks were all Russian, there was a language barrier there, they never understood what I was talking about. I was never able to resolve this.

I switched to VMware about a month ago when I got my new Mac Pro.

I thought the Nehalem machines using the latest VMware had changed that? Something about a new addressing table in the hardware?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/987000447931?r=770002647931#770002647931

I have not done any benchmarks, your mileage may vary! :)

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Please search. There have been countless threads about this.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

If you run it in bootcamp, you won't have any problems since it's not virtualization. From what I've read, macs run windows better than windows pcs. I have not been especially impressed with any virtualization software, I agree.