Other Woah! Does the iPhone xs/ xs max screen scratch easily ? Look at this

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockoutjosie, Sep 18, 2018.

  1. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

    Nanotyrns

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    Denver
    #51
    I had a tempered glass privacy protector on my 7 Plus and it totally took the hit when it came out of my pocket while crossing a street. Swear by them now.
     
  2. PBz macrumors 68020

    PBz

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    PVB, Florida
    #52
    So a piece of thin glass with say a 75% probability of cracking on a drop cracked while a stronger piece of glass with a say 25% probability of cracking didn’t crack.. people. That glass isn’t nullifying any significant shock.
     
  3. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2018
    #53
    Yes it does. You have to pul out your pockets and run a lint roller on it every 2 hours.
     
  4. Chicagogirlie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #54
    Can you recommend any, with the back covered? I don't want a bumper. I'm not seeing any that aren't already sold out like Zagg/Invisishield. Also some I've seen are pricey due to having a bumper and front cover.

    I found some on amazon for like 8.99. I worried though that these are has heavy duty as they could be.
     
  5. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

    Nanotyrns

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    Denver
    #55
    She said she'd never heard of a case where a screen protector actually protected a screen so I provided one but now I see the error of my ways and based on your schooling of me will never ever again buy a screen protector I am properly informed now and told of how erroneous I was.

    Happy now, both of you?
     
  6. PBz macrumors 68020

    PBz

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    PVB, Florida
    #56
    Not a she.
    If it makes you feel better buy it.
    The math is the math. Definitely creates repeat buyers.
     
  7. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

    Nanotyrns

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2012
    Location:
    Denver
    #57
    No no you both have shown me the error of my ways. In fact I think we can shut down the thread now. This age old questioned has been answered by data which refutes my clearly anecdotal evidence.

    You are right. I yield.
     
  8. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #58
    I don't know. I prefer to buy Spigen, but haven't been looking at back protectors, cuz we uses cases.
     
  9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

    iamMacPerson

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location:
    AZ/10.0.1.1
    #59
    They replicate the feel of the display without running the risk of scratching the display itself. From my experience, it increases resale value for two reasons: 1. it shows that you cared for the phone and 2. mean the display underneath is minty fresh. I've gone two years with one on my iPhone before, never chipped or cracked in that time. My iPhone 7 Plus has had one on since I got it - about a year ago. I have never had it replaced. It does have a pretty major scratch on the protector, but other than that, Zagg's Glass+ is really good.

    I refused the pay the price they wanted for the iPad Pro's screen protector though and went with Anker for a fraction of the cost. It cracked after a few months for no reason, but they replaced it free of charge. It's now been a year and it's still pristine. I took the gamble and ordered their new set for the Max off Amazon. $8.50 with tax, and I get two screen protectors plus the installation tool. Not bad.
     
  10. HarryWild macrumors 65816

    HarryWild

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    #60
    If you get a scratch(es) on your glass front or back; you have 14 days to return it to Apple. Just make sure it was not caused by yourself but the process!
     
  11. Steve686 macrumors 68040

    Steve686

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Location:
    US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
    #61
    How long is the curing process?
     
  12. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

    BugeyeSTI

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    Location:
    Arizona
    #62
    My X is the first iPhone I’ve owned where I didn’t use a spigen tempered glass screen protector and I haven’t had any scratches. Micro scratches to the coating maybe but, I don’t look at the screen under bright lights and tilt it every angle to look for things that are imperceptible in normal lighting. I clean the screen with woosh and a microfiber cloth every other day and it’s been fine. I prefer the feel and look of a clean naked screen. Just my opinion of course..
     
  13. StarShot macrumors 6502a

    StarShot

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2014
    #63
    Well, of course, that's what you want if you were to drop your phone, the glass protector to break. In my local neighborhood, one of the small shops selles the grass screen protector for about $25 or so, with unlimit replacements at $8 a pop. I think my glasss protectors have broken a couple times a year and I had them replaced under the $8 deal. Saw a 3 pack on eBay a few days ago for $8. When my phone arrives on Friday, I'm going to give it a try and if it goes on bubble free, I'm good to go for the year. If not, I'll trot down to my mall and get another $25 protector.

    I've never broken a screen, but I've seen plenty of them.
     
  14. Steve686 macrumors 68040

    Steve686

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Location:
    US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
    #64
    I don’t worry about scratches at all because they don’t happen very often with my phones here in sandy South Florida.

    What does annoy me I’d after a while I get this area where the oleophobic coating seems to have regressed in about 70 percent of the screen downward starting parallel with the Up Volume button. It’s from putting the phone in my left pocket constantly. I can clean the screen and it looks great, but as soon as I use the phone without having washed my hands first, the oils from my fingers start to collect immediately in this area of my screen.

    This is the reason I use the glass protectors.
     
  15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #65
    When applying the oleophobic coating liquid solution, it dries almost instantly. The full curing process can take somewhere around 6-8 Hours as a safe bet before you can start using the phone again. Fusso from Amazon makes a decent oleophobic kit if you are ever interested.
     
  16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

    TroyBoy30

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Atlanta GA
    #66
    screen protectors have always been required IMO

    same for a full skin
     
  17. Jdreyes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2015
    #67
    I have had the iPhone X’s Max for a week, already two scratches on the screen. So frustrating. I take immaculate care of my phones. My last iPhone, a 7, didn’t have a single scratch. Drives me crazy
     
  18. mritech macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2015
    #68
    How do you prove that?
     
  19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #69
    Technically, you can’t prove how the scratch happened, one could blame that it came from the factory like that if they wanted to. It really depends on the amount of damage and how severe the scratch is, but if it’s a small enough of a scratch where it really is a unnoticeable, then Apple really won’t make an issue of it.
     
  20. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #70
    I have a friend who brought her Macbook Pro into the Apple store to show them a crack in her screen. There was a small divot on the crack. She said she hadn't damaged the screen, and it just cracked on its own. I couldn't believe it when the Apple employee agreed to replace the screen. I don't doubt that my friend believed she hadn't damaged the screen, but if I were the Apple employee, I would have gently told her to take a hike. Pretty good customer service.
     
  21. Scott G. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2016
    Location:
    Amsterdam, NY
    #71
    My XS came with two micro-scratches. Could only be seen under a bright flash light. I'm guessing they were just in the oleophobic coating?
     
  22. bushman4 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #72
    Put a screen protector on and avoid the aggravation. Is it more prone to scratches. Hard to say
     
  23. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

    Vermifuge

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    #73
    thats my belief.
     
  24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #74
    Which in theory, if those micro abrasion‘s are into the oleophobic coating, they should slightly dissipate over the course of time as the coating wears off, as it’s Naturally organic.
     
  25. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

    AnthonyG6

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2017
    #75
    I have never used a screen protector and I never will. It just doesn't feel right and it takes away from the look of the phone. I especially hate the screen protectors on the iPhone X with the cut out for the 'notch'. For the record I have never ever scratched the screen on any phone. I do use the thinnest case available and I make sure I never place the phone face down on any surface. I also have an exclusive pocket in my jeans or jacket that only the phones goes into, no coins, no keys, no nothing = no scratches.
     

Share This Page