Woah...iPhone needs a safety backup!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazylegsmurphy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

So last night, I decided to turn on my flycast program and lay in bed listening to some smoooooth ambient beats.

On a good note I realized my battery can last 10+ hours, on a bad note that crazy thing streamed music for 10 hours. Now, I was lucky because it was over the wifi, but it got me thinking about how disastrous that would have been had I happen to have been on EDGE or 3G.

Can you imagine the data usage I might have had?

It got me thinking about how it might be a good idea for the iPhone software guru's to put a little program in the settings menu that is nothing more than something like,

Data Reminder -
    1. Every 500k
    2. Every 2mb
    3. Every 10mb

basically something like that where if the user chooses it can stop all incoming data after a certain amount. This would not only help people like me, but people with data plans they have to watch more carefully (500mb or less).

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

With my regular phone, I'm not on a plan so I pay $1 for 10 MB if I choose to use it (very rarely, so this casual service is the best option for me). When I've used 8 MB, I get a text message informing me that I'm near the limit and will be charged an extra $1 if I exceed it.

This doesn't help your situation directly, but maybe there's an optional service that you can get from your phone provider that does a similar sort of thing.

3. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya perhaps....I have the 6Gig plan so I'm not super concerned about it, but it just got me thinking of how bad that would be for some. Imagine if you fell asleep and you woke up to 18 text messages and $300 worth of data transfer.

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Unlimited data for the win. In this last 3 weeks I've used 1gb+ of data. I woe hate to worry about data limits cause I use alot.

5. sookainian macrumors regular

Singtel ( I'm from Singapore btw ) give us/me 50GB of data. But every month we have to pay sg$50 for the phone bill... it come with 200min call time & 500 SMS.

For me 50GB is like a "bluff" thing ?? because for the past 2 months, i tried to get my phone to download as many things as possible, but each month i only manage to use a mix of 300mb...

Can someone teach me how to use up 50GB data a month ??

6. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

50GB?????
    My shaw highspeed only gives me 60GB/month, and i have over 3 computers torrenting and a network of 4 more browsing and downloading files occasionally, and i cant seem to get to the limit...

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If you fell asleep how would you here or see a warning?

8. sookainian macrumors regular

**** !! iIf you have 3 computers torrernting/browsing/downloading and you cant seems to reach 60GB of data download per month...

Then as an iPhone user, how am i going to use up the 50GB data they give per month :confused:

I want to make use of the 50GB data per month they give us.
    I want to show Singtel i am able to download 50GB worth of data every month on an iPhone !! :)

Can someone please teach me how ??

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Well, I stream music and comedy over 3G just while driving to/from work, and that can use up a couple GB per month. So I would figure if you did that all the time you could use up quite a good amount of bandwidth,

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Portugal you get 250MB per month or 500MB... :(

11. sookainian macrumors regular

But what's your monthly fee ?

Maybe my monthly fee cost more that's why they give me 50GB data ?? not sure...

But I'm paying USD$37 ( SG$56 ) every month...

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Here most plans are pay as you go. I have on of those and then we can pay an extra 10 euro (13 USD) or 15 euro (20 USD) for 250MB or 500MB data. The thing is we don't have the option to have more data even if we were willing to pay more...

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, your contract options are pretty awful. I have a pretty hard time imagining being able to stick under 250MB per month reliably.

I think this is exactly the reason Apple pushed for unlimited data so hard (although it was also already standard practice in the US)...

On the other hand, it seems to me that situations like the OP's really rely on a single app that makes fairly egregious use of data services. It's not that easy to do this by accident with any of the default features of the iPhone, is it?

Would it be better for these apps to have some kind of built-in system that would make you have to explicitly allow them to run data services for hours?

I could see it going either way. If I had those Portugese data contract limits, I would probably want a text message every 50MB or something.

14. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

First, the iPhones download speed is around 40KB/S, but lets just say it can do 100KB/s for data...
    50 gigabytes = 52 428 800 kilobytes
    If you downloaded at 100KB/s 24/7 for an entire month,the total data you would have downloaded would be...
    259,200,000 KB.:confused:
    ok, another route...
    The largest iPhone to date is 16GB
    you don't have enough space available to store 50GB unless your streaming.
    (unless you have jailbroken your phone, then you could tether it to a computer and could possibly get close to the limit...):rolleyes:

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

40kb/s?? Jailbreaking to tether????? I have Netshare, which was Apple approved until it was killed off, and tether my iPhone when I'm at the girlfriend's apartment and regularly get 110kb/s down link according to Netshare, with sometimes higher bursts, on the 3g network. It's enough to stream TV episodes from NBC. This post proves that most the statements on the internet are made up. The AT&T network limits download on the iPhone 3g to 1.4mbps, which I think is about 175kb/s. Some people in Europe have reported 2mbps speeds, with most sources saying the iPhone 3g chipset has a max download speed somewhere around 3.6mbps.