Wobbling

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mark D, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Mark D macrumors member

My new MBA is great, except it will not sit flat on a table. The left side will rock back and forth if anything presses against it, compared to the right corner which does not move no matter what. It appears the construction of the computer is not level. I tried it on four different flat surfaces.

A) If this is a known problem, can it be fixed or does it require exchanging for a new unit?

B) My first thought is the Genius Bar but I bought it at Best Buy. If it does need to be replaced all together, would I need to do it through Best Buy or does it still fall within Apple's warranty?

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

If it's a warranty item I think Apple can help you. Either way you can visit the Genius Bar for support.

If your issue is a return or exchange then BB will be the place to go.

Either way the Genius Bar is available to you. That may be the place to start.

3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Mine has the exact same problem (also bought from Best Buy). I took it to Apple, and the "genius" tried resetting the base (unscrew it and then put it back), but no change. He recommended exchanging it (which I couldn't do, I was a couple weeks out of the return window by that time). Basically they can't do anything, its a manufacturing issue, but they won't admit its a defect and switch out the laptop for a new one.

I use my laptop on my lap or in bed mostly, so I don't notice the wobble. Sometimes when I'm at my desk, I "twist" the base a little and the wobble goes away for a while, but it always comes back after a few days.

Depending on who you talk to, Apple *may* replace it for you (also depends when you bought it). Otherwise, your best chance might be taking it in to Best Buy, they might do an exchange (even out of the return window if you can convince them its defective).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If a Genius suggests a replacement, it can be done outside the return window. My first rMBP had an SSD issue and the manager approved an exchange about 40 days past the return date.

5. Mark D thread starter macrumors member

Update from last week if anyone cares -

The Apple genius bar looked at it, the top plate was bent and rather than swapping for a different unit they decided to repair/replace that part. It was all I could do to find that out because they were freaking out that I didn't have an "appointment" to talk to them. Fair enough, the first available time for the service was about an hour later (mind you, this was only to check if they had the part in the store). They just told me to bring it back then so I still had the Macbook. I then went to Best Buy down the road where I had bought it, briefly showed them the problem once and ended up arriving home with a new computer by the time of the original appointment at the Apple store. The replacement has been issue-free. If one is content with the baseline amount of ram, I have nothing but the highest praise for Best Buy.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sometimes the "Geniuses" get on their heads. Pssshhhh... it just a marketing term, it doesn't mean God.

Uneven Macbooks = there is one reason Apple is not going to make it THINNER still as a recent poster hopes, until they find out how to make it stiffer, make the cage out of magnesium or titanium or something stiffer than aluminum.