Wobbly Bouncy Display - Normal ? (Video Clip)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Halley1, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Halley1 macrumors newbie

I have just got a new MacBook Pro to replace the one I sold two years ago. I noticed that when I move the lid and let go, the display wobbles a little. I can't remember if my 2010 MacBook Pro did this?

It seems okay to me but I just wanted to be sure that it was normal.

The display also wobbles when I type, but only the smallest amount, hardly even noticeable, not like when I move the lid to a new position.

If a bunch of you could just test this for me with your MacBook's it would be great thanks.

Here is the video clip: https://vimeo.com/55791037

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well for some reason I cannot watch the video.

But to be sure, there should be no significant wobble regarding the Macbook Pro display.

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I think it looks pretty normal. Only problem I've ever had with the hinges is the becoming loose

4. Halley1, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

Halley1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I thought, but for some reason it didn't feel quite right. If a few more people could test this out for me, just to put my mind at rest?

----------

Do you have cookies disabled? Vimeo sometimes does not work with cookies blocked.

Let me know if you think it's a significant amount of wobble? thanks.

The lid is reassuringly stiff, if I hold the laptop base at 180 degrees to the surface of my desk with the lid open, the display will not close, it does not fall down, it doesn't even move at all. This is good news, but I'm curious about the wobble, and whether it's normal? maybe a few people can test this and let me know...

5. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Looks normal to me, you don't want the hinges too tight otherwise you will have a hard time opening/closing the screen.

6. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Yup it's normal. I know the older unibody models did not have tight hinges at all. Resulting in the display falling if set at certain angles. Luckily they have fixed this issue and the result is tighter hinges.

7. duckrabbit macrumors member

This is normal. I was wondering the same thing as you, but I had my machine (a 15" rMBP) replaced because of image retention, and both machines had the same degree of wobble.

8. Halley1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you, for confirming that this is normal. I called Apple about this before starting the thread as I wanted opinions from the engineers as well as other users, to cover all bases. I have just received an email from a senior Apple Care Technician confirming that there is no fault and this is completely normal. :)

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The newer "lids" are thinner and weigh less, hence they wobble. The crap some of you guys get all OCD about. LOL!