Wobbly i5 MBP :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hardcastle, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hardcastle macrumors newbie

Got my new MBP last week only to find the thing is wobbly, as in the case has a minor warp to it that causes one of the foot pads to not even touch the table surface. I took it into The Apple stores yesterday and they can send it out for repair, but can't swap it out because I bought it on Amazon. The genius was cool about it and he wanted to see me get a new machine, so I may try to send it back to Amazon. Just sucks that every time I out my wrist on the rest it wobbles.

Anyone else with this problem? The genius claims it was the first bad unibody case he has encountered.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This happens to me occasionally, but it's more the fault of the surface than the machine. I just fold a piece of paper or used envelope and put it under the offending pad.

3. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I haven't had this problem my MacBook Pro is fine no wobbles at all.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My 13" unibody MacBook and my brother's 13" unibody macbook pro BOTH wobble. I'm upgrading to a 15" which is on its way; if it wobbles i'm sending it back.

For both computers it's the front right edge (by the sleep light indicator) that is raised.

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Drop it like it's hot....

Actually drop it off at the Apple store after they've ordered the spare parts. It should be obvious that the bottom case is warped. The same thing happened with my (replacement) machine. But don't worry, other than that one issue, I haven't had a single problem whatsoever. This machine is incredible. Yours will probably be too.

6. hardcastle thread starter macrumors newbie

not the surface

Sadly, it's not the surface in this case. The first thing I did was to compare it to my outgoing MacBook Pro on a variety of surfaces. I compared it against other new MacBook Pro's at the Apple store as well and mine was an anomaly.

I'm not a throw it out kind of guy, and I don't want to be too nitpicky here, but it is going to dive me nuts to have the machine wobble every time I touch it. For all that money, I think I am entitled to a machine that doesn't have this sort of defect.

7. hardcastle thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, thanks for the advice. I am going to have it repaired in a few weeks once I finish my current job that requires use of the machine.

8. Kitrik macrumors member

Arrgh! Just got my new MBP and it definitely wobbles as well. I can even see the unibody case is warped just be looking at it. Have a genius bar apt tonight.

Frustration here is that it's a custom build and it already took 2+ weeks to get here from China... They better let me keep and use this one while they ship the replacement to the store and then let me exchange it there when it's in...

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Just wanted to update you guys -- coming from two other macbooks that wobbled, i'm happy to say that my 15" i7 does not wobble at all!

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

They will gladly do that if you pay for the other one until you give back the first one. That's what I had to do on my warranty replacement anyway...

11. tekmoe macrumors 68000

If Amazon won't let you return it then you should let Apple take care of the repair. A wobbly notebook is no fun.

12. irwinm macrumors member

I don't know how bad it is, but when I bought a 15" C2D just 2 weeks before the upgrade, mine had a similar wobble that drove me crazy the first couple of days. However after about a week of use it was no longer noticeable so I suspect the case "flattened out" over use.

I ended up returning it right before the new ones came out but not for the wobble - you may want to give it a few days and then decide.

(new i7 15" has no wobble :D )