Woke up to my iPhone 4 on the ground

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brymo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Brymo macrumors regular

Weird. I never drop my phones, but of course, iPhone 4 drops within a few days of having it. It dropped from about 3 feet from a shelf to the wooden floor. It seems someone called and it vibrated off the shelf.

I freaked out, but nothing was wrong.

(knock on wood ;))

2. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

k thanks

3. draz macrumors 6502a

You mean your screen didn't get cracked? That's a first ;)

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wow, an iPhone that actually has strong vibration?

5. Brymo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah! From what I'm reading, everyone that drops their phones breaks instantly!

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thank goodness I have a thick carpet in my bedroom. :D

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

This is exactly why I'm waiting for Otterbox's defender case before I get my iPhone 4. Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are.

8. mackpro macrumors member

mackpro

9. aviddk macrumors regular

I usually set my phone on top of my wallet when I arrive home. Twice in row I walked by were I had left my iP4 only to find it on the ground. Next time I set my phone on top of my wallet I stood and watched. The phone was absolutely static for 10 seconds then it started sliding. There was no visible vibration. Could the gyroscope be causing this? My solution make sure that my iP4 is laying flat on it's back.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

When I go to sleep I put my phone on the floor next to my bed. If it falls anywhere it will end up in my neighbors house.

11. Brymo thread starter macrumors regular

Funny. This is exactly what I do when I come home. It's safe and not slippery.

12. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

Same here

13. erzeszut macrumors regular

You know, this sounds crazy.

But. Twice now, an odd thing has happened with my iP4. With the 3GS, I got into the habit of resting it on the arm of my sofa at home while sitting in the adjacent recliner. Our sofa has big, wide arms; curved at the top, but wide enough to set a phone, or a remote control, etc.

Twice now, my new iPhone has slid off the arm of the sofa. Once onto the sofa itself, once in the other direction onto the floor. I did not receive a call/text either time.

I didn't see it 'til after the fact each time. But I thought maybe the back of the case was just slipperier, being made of glass. Now though, I wonder if the internal gyro is somehow involved.

I'm going to be a lot more careful with where I set this thing, especially since I don't yet have a case for it.

14. diabolic macrumors 68000

I just tested this and got the same result. Very slow sliding. It's got to be the gyroscope combined with the smooth glass back.

15. TapTapps macrumors newbie

Quickly learning not to set the iPhone on anything that isn't perfectly level. I had it sitting on a book that had a very slight angle to it and it was fine for a couple of hours before it slide off. Fortunately only an inch or so drop to the table the book was sitting on.

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

This is probably the real reason Apple is making bumpers now. The phone will move by itself on any unlevel surface, even without vibration from a call.

17. MACis122 macrumors regular

thats like saying i took a breath of air. who makes post like this

18. sanders4617 macrumors member

LOL. Yeah.. even if we had 50 different threads on this.. that is NOTHING compared to 1.5 million phones out there.

19. Brymo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, needless to say, I'm keeping my Griffin Reveal case on.

Sadly, I took it off just hours before it fell off because I didn't like it...

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Actually, the OP has good information and this is an interesting thread. Good reminders that the phone is a flat piece of glass and more reasons I like my bumper.

21. MACis122 macrumors regular

and i thought sidekick people were bad back in 06

22. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

My desk is only slightly sagging yet my phone slides to the middle!

23. diabolic macrumors 68000

What exactly is bad about posting this? The iPhone 4 moves if its not on a level surface. Not when someone calls, or you get a message, it just moves on its own. I'm sure it is caused by the gyroscope, but it's good to know if you don't want your phone to fall.

24. Stankonia macrumors regular

I've woken up on the floor before. I didn't know the iPhone 4 partied that hard, but there you go.

25. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Damn, I will build like a little wooden box to have on my nightstand were I'll keep it when I get it.