Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Last night I took off my Ultra 2 and set it on my dresser. This morning I put it on but when I went to unlock it, it said that it couldn't be unlocked for 12 minutes. I waited the 12 minutes and when I went to unlock it, a bunch of numbers were being pressed on the keypad on the watch and it then locked itself again and now I have to wait 90 minutes to unlock it. When this happened, I was not touching the screen at all when this happened.

Does anyone know how I can fix it?

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
When the watch restarted, it restarted locked for three hours. I guess I need to wait out the three hours to see if it allows me to unlock it?

Is there any way to shut off that locking thing so that it doesn't happen again?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
When the watch restarted, it restarted locked for three hours. I guess I need to wait out the three hours to see if it allows me to unlock it?

Is there any way to shut off that locking thing so that it doesn't happen again?
I believe there was a similar thread here a month or so ago…
I’d contact Apple about this

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I was referring to this, but above could be it too ...

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I was referring to this, but above could be it too ...
I was not wearing it to bed. I take it off each night and put it on the dresser. It was fine last night. This morning, locked. It's still doing it after reboot. I'm going to contact Apple.

Reactions: jz0309

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
When is the last time you did a software update.
I'm not sure. I've been avoiding them because of the battery issues that some are reporting. Because it'd be just my luck that I'd end up with a watch that didn't last a day. If I can ever get into the watch, I'll update it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm not sure. I've been avoiding them because of the battery issues that some are reporting. Because it'd be just my luck that I'd end up with a watch that didn't last a day. If I can ever get into the watch, I'll update it.
So a full software restore.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
First thing Apple will tell you to do is update to the latest version of WatchOS available. Even if you take it to an Apple Store they'll tell you that's the first thing they must do. I understand that you don't want to update (I'm still on the final version of WatchOS9) but Apple's diagnostic protocol is to start with being on the latest version available for your watch

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
wouldn't it also be best for persons who are experiencing this to turn off the Erase Data after 10 failed logins?

this is set separately for WatchOS (using the Watch app on iPhone) and iOS in iOS Settings.

Reactions: arkitect and usmaak

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
wouldn't it also be best for persons who are experiencing this to turn off the Erase Data after 10 failed logins?

this is set separately for WatchOS (using the Watch app on iPhone) and iOS in iOS Settings.
I wish that there was a way to keep it from locking. I will turn off the Erase Data, if I don't already have it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.