WOL issues? My Findings.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Psilocybin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

well it appears that many programs do not function in the lower power state that lion wakes up from. When you wake lion it does not fully wake up (unlike snow leopard lion goes into a low power state.

to distinguish if your computer is waking up refer to console if you see this:

11-08-10 10:26:12.000 PM kernel: Wake reason: ARPT (Network)

your computer did in fact wake up but it is in the low power state

now not a lot of programs seem to function properly in this state..i first tested with teamviewer...this program is one of the many that doesn't function within the low power state. I than tried logmein, works like a champ, the Agent does work properly in this low powered state.

conclusion? Your mac is indeed waking up you just need to determine if what your trying to do in this low powered state actually works in this low powered state..you can also ping your mac to distinguish if its awake or not

2. garethjs macrumors 6502

I've noticed an issue with airvideo server in this low powered state.

I have no issue waking up the computer via the airvideo app on my iPad but once im done the computer doesn't go to sleep again properly.

So the second time I try to wake it it fails.

3. J.C macrumors 6502

With the Apple TV2 (I'm using 4 of them) over Wi-Fi it isn't able to fully wake my Mac Pro, or access files in the low power state (not sure which).

The Mac Pro is used solely as a media server for the Apple TVs and when controlled is done via VNC apps (not keyboard + mouse) so I'm screwed any time it goes to sleep.

Surely Apple would have it's own Apple TV device able to wake a Mac to access files or access them in the low power state!?!?