Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieselpower44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I have a Sky router plugged into the wall, and an Airport Extreme plugged into that. Unfortunately I cannot get rid of the Sky router as it is the ADSL modem so I'm stuck with this unfortunate setup.

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac and they used to be able to wake each other up automatically but this stopped when I plugged the iMac into an ethernet port on the Airport Extreme instead of connecting wirelessly.

Is wireless wake on lan not compatible with wired wake on lan or something? I thought the Extreme monitored the DHCP leases of each device so it knows exactly where to send the wake up request packet, regardless of whether the device is wired or wireless?

I realize that yes, it all works wirelessly but I'd like the option of having the iMac wired to the Extreme as I'm thinking about connecting a NAS drive to it soon.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You running into what is call packet collations or in Apple terms "Double NAT". This happing because you ISP router seems to be doing NAT. So go into your Airport Extreme (since it behind another router already doing NAT) into "Bridged Mode" (this is Apple speak to say it will not be doing NAT).

A good home network should only have the device closest to the ISP modem doing NAT. All other router behind another router (doing NAT)should have NAT turned off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.