Wolf Camera extended warranty, worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iShater, Jun 4, 2009.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Background
    I am about to buy my first dSLR. I decided after doing a lot of research, thinking, and feeling; to go with a Nikon entry level. D60 seemed to be the one, until I kept reading more and more than the price difference between that and the D40 isn't really worth it. So I decided to get the D40, and spend the $$ difference on getting a 70-300 lens to compliment the stock 18-55 and to use in my next Safari trip.

I went to Wolf camera and spent quite some time there with a knowledgable sales lady who explained things, helped me try the different cameras, the lenses, etc. I plan to get the body and the stock lens from the store, price is maybe $30 more than the cheapest I have seen on the net, but with the time they spent with me and the classes they offer, I feel that they more than earned it.

The dilemma
    The lady explained to me the extended warranty they offer, and I am trying to decide whether to get it or not.

The cost for a two year coverage depends on the value of the equipment purchased. So I can get a 2 year warranty for the camera for $180 $153.39, and the same for the lens for $220 $180.39 for two year as well. That is $400 $333.78 for a full, accident, drop, damage, drown, etc coverage and free annual cleanings for two full years for equipment costing over $1000.

They charge $65 to clean the camera, and $35 for cleaning the lens. So assuming I do take the camera for an annual service that costs $100, I am paying maybe $15 more per year for the rest of the coverage.

Considering that I have at least one Safari trip where I will be in a dusty environment, and considering that I am shelling $600 for the lens. Should I at least get coverage for the lens? should I get it for both? thoughts? :confused:

2. pdechavez macrumors regular

If you think you're spending a lot on this camera and lens, then yes, warranty it. I warranty all my equipment as well as insure them. But my equipment is also very expensive. If they cover drop, water, dust etc, thats a good thing since the d40 or d60 dont have weather sealing.

good luck on your decision

3. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

I'm trying to get an idea about the cleaning and if it is needed regularly enough (once a year) that the $15 to get the extra coverage per year would be worth it.

The lens is the real investment I would think as I can use it with this camera body and the next one when I upgrade.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All I know is that I was given a lens one year as a gift that had this warranty. I accidently dropped the lens and then stepped on it. Ritz (as it is called where I come from) replaced the lens, no questions asked.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Since Ritz (and Wolf is part of this company) has recently filed for bankruptcy, I don't think it's a good idea to buy their extended warranty, as it might not be worth anything in a year or two....

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

My thoughts exactly.

They were never any good to begin with.

Personally I dont think Ive ever heard of or been to a REAL GOOD camera shop that wasnt locally owned and operated. All chains are just what youd expect them to be...crap. :rolleyes:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually you all may want to check on your theory of Ritz/Wolf and their BK as I recently found myself in a situation where I purchased a high-end receiver from Circuit City only to find out the store closed a day later. I called the warranty company and since it's a third party my warranty is still in tact.

Find out if the Ritz/Wolf warranty is from a third party. I cannot recall as it was nearly 8 years ago when I got the lens and used the warranty that was purchased with it.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

...and if Ritz/Wolf is providing the warranty, your purchase might be just the push they need to stay afloat. ;)

9. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Thanks for the info folks. The warranty is covered by a 3rd party. I ended up with my camera and just a one-year warranty, with a single cleaning after a trip overseas at the end of the year, and it will be worth it.