Wolf3D Source - Errors while compiling

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by PsyCHotIcphREak, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PsyCHotIcphREak macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I need some help compiling the Wolfenstein 3D Classic source code. (http://www.idsoftware.com/iphone-games/wolfenstein-3d-classic-platinum/index.html)
    When I load the xcodeproject and hit Run, I get the following errors:

(null): error: /Users/xxx/Desktop/Sources/Wolf3D_Classic/code/iphone/POSITYPE-idSettler10v2.otf: No such file or directory

and a bunch of other errors in the same style missing some .PNGs.
    The ReadMe says all data-files are included in the source code.

What am I doing wrong?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. That project bundle is simply missing a lot of resources. That project is about 4 years old now and so, even if you get all the required resources somehow, I suspect it would require a good deal of effort to bring it "up to speed", as it were.

3. PsyCHotIcphREak thread starter macrumors newbie

:( - I thought you could simply take a complete sourcecode bundle, compile and run it on a current xcode, and done.

So, it's not as easy as I thought...

Well, thanks anyway dejo...

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, but the problem is the bundle is not complete. It's missing resources.

Besides the missing files, there are a number of other errors/warnings that are preventing it from compiling.

Unfortunately not.

You're welcome. I'm not sure if contacting John Carmack and asking if he'd like to bring the iPhone project up-to-date would work. :D

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Generally, if a game programmer decides to help others by sharing their code but wants to still make money selling their app, they'll release all or some of the code but keep the resources to themselves, so as to prevent people from making unauthorized ports and canablizing the programmer's own sales.

IE, Lugaru is open source, but the only textures it includes are the original non-HD graphics. Current copies of the game, sold through the MAS for examples, have much better graphics.